buddy (c. goode)

"Hey, ma," you greeted the supreme as you entered her office, making her look up from her work to smile at you.

"You know, at this point, I have literally given up on telling you not to call me that."

"So you've finally accepted that you're my mom."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," she replied, "Do you need anything?"

"Um, I was going to ask if you had any plans of sleeping because it's already late."

"I might not be able to sleep just yet, I've got a lot of paperwork to do."

"Okay, then I'm keeping you company," you grinned, showing her the box of puzzles you had brought with you.

"Wait, wait, missy, isn't it time for you to get some sleep?"

"Well, ma, since you're staying up late, I felt like you could use the company."

Cordelia raised an eyebrow at you, obviously skeptical, "And you're going to spend your time doing what, exactly?"

"I'ma be sitting here," you replied with a smirk, as you plopped down next to her seat, hidden from the view of anyone who might come in, "and you can go about your business."

"That's not that easy, you know."

"Why? Am I that attractive? So much you can't keep your eyes off me?"

"Don't flatter yourself, young lady. If I didn't enjoy your company so much, I would've sent you to bed already."

"Wow, you're really trying to live up to the mom image, aren't you?"

"What's it to you?"

"Changing the subject," you said, "How was your day, ma?"

"Did you just-"

"Yes, I believe I did. Now please just answer the question."

Pinching the bridge of her nose, the blonde sighed exasperatedly, "It was fine, kinda stressful, but, that's life."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, thank you. How was your day?"

"It was okay, I guess," you shrugged, "I finished a book today, and I sketched some new stuff."

"Lucky kid. You're really, really lucky you don't have to deal with this work."

"Let me see it?"

Cordelia chuckled softly and handed you a single sheet of her paperwork, "Here, good luck making heads or tails of it."

There was a moment of silence as you tried to decipher what the paper said. It might have been written in English, but your lazy-ass brain couldn't seem to process whatever the words meant.

"Nope," you said, handing back the paper to Cordelia, "I can't it."

"See what I have to put up with?"

"How about I braid your hair or give you a massage while you're working?"

"Aren't you sleepy yet? It's nearly 10."

"Nope, I'm not, plus, it seemed like you needed a late-night buddy, now, how about the offer?"

"Sure, as long as you're okay with it."

"Of course I'm okay with it, I freaking suggested it."

"You're acting wild, Y/N," she chided, but she was smiling, "Did you drink again?"

"Nope."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Then let's get started."