Chapter 8: The Talk

Normal POV

The next day, Hawks returns to his agency, while leaving Dabi at his home in the mountains. He flew to his room and entered through his window, before walking to the elevator and taking it down like usual. He walked in to find Arrid not at her desk. He wasn't surprised because he knew she liked him, but felt bad about how last night was the way she found out the feelings weren't mutual.  It's not that he ever actually flirted to her. But only kept his reputation of being charming to any over-excited female who talked to him.

However, he was in a very good mood, until he stepped into his office and got picked up by Endeavor.

"Look who finally decided to show up." Endeavor started, flames getting hotter by the second. "It's almost noon. Do you know how long I've waited in here for you to show up? What kind of hero shows up this late on a Monday? What if there was an attack and I needed your help? Would you just casually show up hours late or would I have to pull you out of whatever hole you crawled out of and drag you there myself?"

"Well," Hawks face turned more serious. "Was there an attack that you needed me for?"

Endeavor's head was now completely engulfed as he was ready to throw Hawks, but instead set him down before he did so.

Hawks walked over to his desk and sat down. "So, why did you come?"

Endeavor became less of a torch before responding. "I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"What do you mean?"

"You were upset the other day about killing Dabi." Endeavor explained. "I know exactly how it feels to take a life, villain or otherwise. But don't let the guilt get to you."

Hawks looked at him in shock. Was he actually trying to act like a father, or as a mentor?

"I have killed 9 Nomus in the past few months. I know they are villains but they were once human. In fact, Nomus are created with many people. So those 9 Nomus could be dozens of people that I killed, and those people had families of their own. Guilt is unbelievably heavy on ones shoulders, especially for someone as young as you. I've been a hero longer than you've been alive, so I am used to that guilt, even if it's the death of a villain. Now I don't know if you've handled death by your hands before, but don't let it get in your head."

Hawks looked up at his superior. "I do have guilt over it, but I think it's different. I couldn't get information out of him like I wanted. However, I did know that his personal goal was to kill you with his own hands. I don't know how the two of you knew each other but he was out there for your blood." Hawks looked toward the window, allowing what he just said to process.

"I don't know if I met him before he was in the League of Villains. I know I have made a lot of enemies in my time. Who knows. Maybe I didn't save his father from an accident or maybe killed a villain friend of his." Endeavor folded his arms. "Whatever it may be, he's dead now and no longer a threat."

"You're right. I'm sorry to have mentioned it." Hawks face saddened, as he felt guilt to the thought of actually killing Dabi.

Endeavor cleared his throat. "If you want, you can come over for dinner with my family tonight. I know food can't cure everything but it is always a good distraction."

Hawks looked at Endeavor wide-eyed. Should I ask Dabi? No that would make Endeavor suspect something if I said I needed to ask someone. But I've always wanted to know what his home was like, since I was a fan. He thought about it for a moment before responding, "sure, I'd love to."

"That's great, I'll let my kids know that you're coming." Endeavor was surprisingly in a good mood about it.

Endeavor pulled out his phone and then walked outside Hawks office to make the call.

"What the hell did I just do?" Hawks mutters to himself.