I'd Kill For Mine

Finally getting rid of them, I sigh in relief and sit back at reception, desperately trying to ignore the looks I'm getting from Mason and Rafael. Bringing up the list of memberships that need notices sent to them, I get started. It's incredibly difficult to concentrate, even after Rafael goes back into the gym because I can feel Mason staring at me. He comes out of the office and sits in the other chair at reception, his mocking eyes still on me. Quickly glancing at him from the corner of my eye, I shift in my seat and sigh in defeat.

"What?" I ask rubbing my temples, having had quite enough interrogation for one day.

"What was all that about?" he asks with a creepily innocent smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"It's okay, no need to play dumb," Mason smirks, "I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you were talking about."

"Then why ask?" I sigh in defeat, smiling despite the situation.

"I wanted to see if you'd tell me yourself," he shrugs. "And you didn't. Ouch."

"There's not really much to tell, Mase," I say, "please don't think too much of it."

"You called it, it," he nods mockingly, "you've objectified it, so it must be something."

Giving him an incredulous look, I punch his arm and move closer to the desk, hoping to indicate the end of the conversation. "Come on Hope," Mason chuckles, "you have to talk to me."

"But I don't want to," I whine like a two-year-old. He raises his eyebrow in boredom and I scoff. "Okay, yeah I know, I sound like a child."

"Okay how about I talk and you can nod if what I'm saying is true and shake your head if not," he suggests and I smile and nod.

"You like Rafael," he states simply. I don't nod or shake my head. Instead, I stare at him with wide eyes. He bursts out laughing and I roll my eyes.

"Straight to it, is it?" I ask sarcastically. Prompting me to continue, I slump back in the chair and nod my head.

"You're panicking, because you've avoided any human contact your whole life, so you have no idea what to do about it."

This time when I stare at him in shock, my jaw drops at the same time. Yes, okay maybe that is the underlying reason I'm not sure what to do with myself. Like I already said, this is a first for me. But how in the hell does Mason know that?

"You're going to catch flies like that," he draws me out of my daze and this time it's his turn to roll his eyes. "I don't blame you. Like I kind of understand. Rafael doesn't even know your real name or anything about your past and you think that it's holding you back from being open with him."

It's like he knows me better than I know myself. Only I wasn't actually thinking that, until he said it, but now that he has, I'm even more panicked. Noticing the increased panic on my face, he realises his mistake and immediately retracts his previous statement.

"I'm not saying that it's a reason to panic because it really isn't. When two people want to be together, it's their future they need to think about, not their pasts," he says quickly.

"I feel like a little girl, having her first-ever crush," I roll my eyes at myself. I'm so pathetic.

"You kind of are, no offence," Mason smirks. With that, he gets up and walks away, leaving me to my thoughts.

Yeah, thanks a lot Mason. I feel so much better.

Resuming my task, it takes me an hour to finish sending out the memos. I had to stop a couple of times to let some people in the gym but besides that, it was plain sailing. Being so engrossed in what I was doing, as I was trying to clear my mind, I didn't notice Rafael take a seat beside me. When I spin around on my chair, my heart skips a beat as I make eye contact with him.