CHAPTER 12

TW: Substance abuse

|Gotham City
|November 15 2013, 17:36

"Katherine, I'm home!" Jason called, dragging his heavy bag behind him through the entrance.

He stopped to listen in for her reply.

It was safe to say he'd grown more and more concerned about Katherine over the past few weeks- especially after she fell into energy saving mode.

She'd played it off like she was sleeping, but Jason knew that wasn't true at all.

He was the one who made it look like it was an accident in the first place.

She wasn't ok, and she needed to be honest about it to someone- anyone, before it was too late.

"Katherine!" Jason yelled again, this time louder.

"What?!" Katherine snapped, her voice echoing from inside the bathroom.

Jason sighed and kicked the front door closed, dumping his bag before he ran to the bathroom to help her.

As he predicted, she was leaning over the toilet.

"Go on.." She sickly murmured into the bowl, "Say it."

Jason leaned in the doorway, not sure what to say.

He wasn't even sure what he could say.

She wouldn't listen anyway.

Katherine reached out to flush. Jason helped her up and did it for her. "C'mon." He led her to her bed, "Get some rest and I'll order a pizza for dinner tonight."

"N-No!" Katherine put her hand to her mouth, like she was trying not to throw up again, "Not hungry."

"Katherine, need to eat." Jason furrowed his brows, "You're getting too thin."

"Hah.." Katherine avoided her bed completely and went to her window, "You're one to talk about being too thin."

Jason huffed and looked at himself in her mirror, "I've actually put on weight- fuck..." he turned around to catch glimpse of her jumping up to the roof from her fire escape.

"Come on, Katherine..." Jason groaned, knowing she heard him but was choosing to ignore him.

"Fuck sake." He grit his teeth in frustration, throwing off his blazer and tie before following her lead and climbing out onto the fire escape.

**********

Katherine swung her legs over the side of the building recklessly, sitting right on the edge.

Jason did the same, but only to make sure if she lost her balance and fell he'd be able to pull her back up.

"So, how was school-?"

"What's wrong with you?" Jason spoke over her. "Really, Katherine, what's wrong with you?"

Katherine went silent for a moment before assuring, "I'm fine. It's just this new medication that Leslie has me on."

"The morphine shots?" Jason questioned.

"Yeah?" Katherine looked over at him suspiciously.

"I've not touched them." Jason shut down whatever she was thinking, "I just saw them in the bathroom."

Katherine shook her head, looking back out at the city. "You shouldn't be around drugs."

"I told you already that I didn't-"

"But you could." Katherine glared at the skyline, "Drugs are more tempting than ever in these parts."

Jason looked at her offended.

She really thought he'd- no, he wasn't going to let her get away that easy.

"You should go back to Leslie." He suggested, "Maybe ask for another painkiller to try...Katherine?"

She wasn't even listening to him.

"Katherine." He repeated, losing his patience with her.

"Hm?" Katherine looked over at him, confusion in her eyes. She quickly masked it and nodded, "Yeah, sure. You want a cig?"

"Fine." Jason rolled his eyes as he took one of her cigarettes, "You've bribed me this time, but don't think I'm going to let you just die on me. You're living as long as possible, okay?"

Katherine took a puff of her own cigarette, not saying anything.

"School was okay." He finally answered her question, now wanting to change the subject himself.

The thought of losing Katherine terrified him.

"Yeah?" Katherine smiled over at him.

"Yeah." Jason managed a small smile back, trying to ignore the sadness inside of himself, "My English teacher let me borrow some books to read, if you wanna borrow one?"

"Eh, you know I'm not much of a reader." Katherine chuckled, "But I'm glad you've found something you enjoy. I'm proud of you, kid."

Jason's eyes glazed. He finished his cigarette before getting up and going back inside.

Even if it was temporary, he didn't want to watch her die.

Word count: 715

A/N: Please keep voting to help the story out! Also I read all comments so if you have a question or something you wanna say please do- I love to read them! <3