CHAPTER 2: THE WHISPERS

Night came. I'm in my room, trying to dry my book with a hair blower. I shouldn't have said something bad to them. Maybe they'll stop hating me if I just neglect them.

It's true that I'm not a family. I was adopted. But, my mom and dad never let me feel that I am, especially grandpa. I don't know why my cousins are so different, but Aunt Marly is kind to me. I don't know why they hate me so much just because of the fact that I'm just adopted.

I tried so much not to run to any of my cousins when I'm alone. I need to avoid them, especially Bliss and Arrian. I'm sure they're gonna do something like what Julien did to me at the lake. But, dinner came and I need to dine with them.

"Thank you for the food and God bless us all, amen! Now, let's eat everyone!" my dad says. His dimple shows as soon as he smiles to us. Brenda serves the food and Annie gives my mom, dad and aunt some wine. They are my grandpa's housekeepers and they're both living here eversince I was adopted.

Now, my cousins are talking and all smiling normally like we didn't had any problem at all. Everyone of them starts to chew their food, while I'm just watching. Mom, who's sitting beside me, notices my being quiet.

"Allison? What's the problem, why aren't you eating? Are you alright?" she says, furrowing her brows.

"Nothing mom." I reply and start eating. I should stop worrying.

The two girls notice me and shoot some sullen glances at me.

Arian is there, with tissues on the holes of her nose.

Her mother asked her about it, and she said, she just tripped herself over an annoying nasty frog outside and she fell down, face first. Her mother seems to believe it.

Julien already did something to me so, he's quite in a good mood and instead of a glare, he looks at me like how he always do, mocking.

"Allison?" grandpa calls out suddenly.
"Yes, grandpa?" I asks, a little surprised.

"You look pale. You need to eat a lot. Would you like to eat a different meal? The food seems not to your liking." he says.

He's beside my dad, facing aunt Marly, and dad is at my left side. He probably heard my mom asking me if I'm okay. He looks at me with worry in his face.

"No, grandpa. It's okay, I like it!" I immediately said and show him a little smile to ease his worry. All attention is at me again.

Suddenly, Arrian, who's sitting infront of me stands up. "Allison, let's go to the kitchen and ask Brenda to cook something for you." She suddenly says.

"What?" I frown. She walks toward me and grabs me. "Come on, just come with me!" she said.

She drags me to the kitchen, though I don't want to go. Brenda and Annie aren't there, so it means we're alone.

"What do you want, Arrian?" I ask. I'm worrying that this is about what I said to them, and what happened to her nose.

"Hmm, well.. I just want to tell you that.. you should stop worrying others especially grandpa." she says with a little gentleness, and that's really wierd.

"He's old." she continues. "And maybe if you don't care about him because you're not blood-related.. well, I care!" now, she says it like a piercing knife.

"I.. Arrian---"

"Stop!" she waves her hand. She refuses to listen to anything I want to say. Then, she crosses her arms under her chest.