CHAPTER 12: A DEAD FACE

"So, this is the underground path.." Gallad said in awe as we get inside. The ladder that we used collapsed and the wall-like water began to shattered.

The entrance closed, suddenly filled by rocks and soil until it became a solid wall. There's no light inside so it became so dark that I couldn't see anything.

I squeeked at the sight of it. I could feel like I'm gonna be claustrophobic too and nyctophobic at the same time.

Suddenly, someone stepped on my foot.

"Ouch!" I said in surprise. "Oops! Sorry!" I heard a man's voice said. It sounds like Lucca.

I move backwards as I bumped someone behind me that I couldn't see. The person holds me steady. Is it Orthyl, or Gallad? I could tell he's a tall man.

If it's Thildah she will react already with an annoying voice. And please, don't tell me it's the cold, frowning monster.

Orthyl, ignites a ball of electric light on his hand, just us I see Erin behind me. I could see the light forcing the shadow away from his face.

What are the odds?

"H-hey! Don't touch me!" I said as I moved away. It's a little bit awkward to act like that though, because I should be thankful when he and Orthyl saved me. If it isn't the fact that he did it for himself, I may really feel grateful towards him.

He just smirked in a sarcastic way. "Do you think I care at all?" he replied. See? How can I be thankful with this guy if he's like this?!

"What's wrong with this girl?" I heard Thildah reacted but no one minds her.

They are busy analyzing this underground path. I noticed that there are more than one pathways and each of them looks gloomy. There are seven ways, but only one would lead us to the place they called as Port Vulgotha.

"Is this a maze or something?" Gallad asked in surprise.

"Yes.. in fact, there's a trap that was set to each one of these pathways. Only one leads to Port Vulgotha, the rest are dead ends." Lilia answered.

"Did you found the right one already?"

"Of course.." Lucca said, while standing close to one of the paths. "It's the one behind me. But, you need to know, there are rules you need to follow until the end... That's the kind of trap that was set here." he explained as he points the third tunnel-like path.

"What are the rules?" Erin asked, looking intrigued by the system of this underground path.

"There are only three rules... First," Lucca begins to say, counting his finger. "No one should look back while we're already starting to walk through the path.
Second, no one should talk or produce any loud sound or noise. And the third one, you should remain expressionless until we make it out from this ground."

"Wait! That's hard!.. How did you even managed to go and find those kind of rules and come back alive?!" I asked.

"Lord Erin sent us here in advance to check if it's safe. Don't forget that we are spirits. We could appear and make ourselves disappear or invisible wherever we want." Lucca says.

"But, that does not count you because you can see us whether we're invisible or not." Lilia added.

"T-then, I suppose, you know what will happen if we break one of the rules, right?" I asked again.

"Of course, we know." Lilia is the one who answered. "You would not want to see them if I were you.. There's this kind of creature in this world that lives underground, it has more than hundreds of faces because it eats those who break the rules that were set here.