Summer of 1999: Part 5

"A living nightmare, asleep but still aware..." I heard Matt softly sing as he paced back and fourth backstage, nervous for their performance at Chain Reaction. "The endless torture. The painless pleasure... I grasp-"

"Avenged Sevenfold, you're up in three minutes." A voice hollared; it's echo bouncing off the walls of the dressing room and into the ears of Matt, Brian, Jimmy and Zacky. 

Their once somewhat calmed nerves were full of adrenaline knowing their moment to display their talent was inching closer and closer. 

"I'm going to shit my pants and I'm going to spew my lunch when I get up there. I'm so nervous," Brian moaned and began to play a simple riff on his guitar before throwing his head back in an apprehensive manner. He looked at me, searching my eyes for a hint of support. I shot him a smile taking clear notice of the anxiety building. "Can I not do the show and just stay here with you?"

"You'll do just fine," I replied, attempting to calm his nerves. I placed a gentle kiss on his cheek and wiped the gloss print off his skin; it shined with great intensity. "Pretend you're in the garage jamming out and most importantly have fun while doing it. Take deep breaths and focus on the prize--fame!" 

"It's hard to do that when you can hear that," he said pointing in the direction of the audience, just as they roared with excitement. He dragged his hand over his face, ever so loudly releasing a grunt. "Where the fuck is Wendt?! Without him we don't have a band."

I never understood why the guys were so against Wendt considering all he had to offer them--he was talented and most importantly, they got along with him just fine. But as time passed, he would miss their backyard performances hosted by their clothest friends.Wendt was becoming a very unreliable musician. "I know you guys will do great with or with out him. Kick ass out there." 

He smiled at me and kissed my cheek; his face seeming more relaxed with my failed assurance. "I'll try, just for you. Thank you for being the best. You're the only thing helping me get through this."

"Avenged Sevenfold, you're up!" The voice, again, hollared. 

All their eyes widened literally almost at the same time. I could see Matt kick a chair out of anger and Jimmy stood frozen with his drumsticks in hand. I proceeded to wish them luck, then followed Johnny and Valary, Matt's girlfriend, to the merch booth. 

Just as we left to the booth, Wendth arrived, out of breath and looking pretty lifted-- If you know what I mean. Matt whispered something in his ear and by Wendt's facial expression, it wasn't very well. I'd never been anymore scared of Matt than I was at that moment. 

"I wanna be cool like then some day." Johnny said behind me, his voice was barely audible over the music filling the venue as we watched the guys perform, "Wendt sucks ass. Look at him! He's not even doing a good job. He was late and he's high..."

I let out a laugh, turning around in my seat, "Why don't you tell them then? That should be you up there. You should show them what you're made of."

"It is going to be me. I hope they drop his ass."

"After today, I'm sure they will." I said facing the stage, remembering how pissed off Matt looked when Wendt had just arrived.

The show had gone quite well and not once did they mess up. The crowd was in love with them. 

"Thank you all very fucking much, have a very fucking awesome night!" Matt spoke into the mic, then dropping it on the floor. After collecting his water bottle and jacket off the drum's riser, he left the stage, his face burning with anger.