Nine

Theo

"Theo, glad you could finally join us!" Dad said as I entered the room in the back of the restaurant.

I had spent the last week trying to convince Dad that this was a bad idea. He was opening up our home to a stranger in the middle of random attacks. He was really losing it if he thought this was going to work.

The only reason I agreed to show up to this meeting was because of Alfie. I only promised to go to the meeting. I didn't promise I would behave or agree to any arrangements. My dad and I agreed that if at any point in the dinner I had a bad feeling about things he would call it. So, here I sat waiting for Alfie and his friend to show up.

We heard a knock on the door prompting my dad to speak, "Come in."

My dad stood up and walked towards the door ready to greet whoever entered. I sat in my seat for a while longer hoping the person we were meeting was a no show and I could go home.

Having avoided turning around for too long, I finally stood up and faced the door.

Impossible.

The one woman I had been searching for for weeks, the one who I had given up on ever finding, was now standing right in front of me.

I had to be hallucinating. Why else would Elena be standing in front of me? She looked down at the floor, and I could tell she was just as shocked as I was. She clutched her purse so tight her knuckles were turning white.

It wasn't until my dad approached her did she look up at me. This was real. It wasn't a dream. Why was she here? Was this a set up? Had I really been played like Marcus said?

"Miss. Monet, it's a pleasure." My dad greeted her.

All three of them sat down at the table, but I was unable to move. I was frozen in my place still trying to process the fact she was sitting right in front me. I had exhausted all of my resources trying to find this girl, and now here she was sitting next to my father acting as if she'd seen a ghost.

There's no way Elena was Alfie's friend. That's just not possible. I knew some of Alfie's background before working for our family, and there was no way in hell Elena was a part of it. I was starting to feel nauseous.

"Let me introduce you to Miss Amelia Monet. I am confident that she is the best fit for the business and taking over my responsibilities" Alfie said to the two of us.

Amelia? Amelia Monet? If she had lied to me about her name, what else had she lied to me about that night? I replayed every moment in my head from that night, and wondered if any of it was real. How could it be real when the woman I was with was not even Elena?

I had to remember where I was. Until I knew more I couldn't let my father know I knew her already. Afraid of what he might do to her, and losing the chance at getting to see her again I reached out my hand.

"Amelia was it?" I asked, already knowing the answer. "What a beautiful name, it's a pleasure to meet you." I said with a grin on my face.

She stared back at me confused on what to do next. She was looking for a way out of here, but we both knew she wasn't getting out of this room anytime soon. She gave me a fake smile, and took my hand. Both of us brushed off the electricity pulsing between the two of us.

Afraid her touch would burn me if we stayed in that hand shake I quickly let go and sat down.

*****

Amelia

All I could do now was get through this meeting, and leave as soon as possible. Get it together Amelia, you're a professional. Get over it already. You came here for a job, not to swoon over your mystery romance. If you couldn't get through this meeting then how were you going to get through this job over the next few months. Your training has failed you greatly if you aren't able to separate your work from your personal thoughts. The worst was now over. He knows who you are and what you do for work. I can't imagine it getting any worse than this-

"So Amelia, Alfie tells me you're good friends?" Mr. Romano says pulling me from my thoughts.

"Yes sir, we grew up together and started training around the same time. After training we headed into different directions with our work, but stayed in touch over the years" I explained. "If it wasn't Alife asking me for this favor I wouldn't have said yes. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous taking this job, but Alfie assured me that he would be there for support until he was ready to get back to work." I said. Theo let out a scoff and a laugh, and crossed his arms, as if he couldn't believe the words I was saying. His actions awarded him a stern look from his dad asking him to behave.

Mr. Romano and I spoke details about taking over for Alfie while we waited for the waitress. While Mr. Romano was asking about wine with the waitress I pulled out my phone and sent a text under the table to Alfie.

Alfie pulled out his phone from his chest suit pocket, and read my message.

*I'm going to fucking kill you when we leave this restaurant..."

Alfie looked up at me with shocked eyes, confused about what he possibly did to piss me off.

*Mr. Sunrise...* I texted.

I sent it to him. And waited for him to get it.

He stared at my message confused, and it wasn't until his face started to relax did I know that he understood what I meant. His shock turned into amusement which was getting harder to hide for him by the second. He looked up at me, then he looked at Theo, and turned his head back to me.

"Him?!" He mouthed to me in absolute amazement.

Afraid of bashing Alfie's head into the table, I asked Mr. Romano to excuse me while I made my way out of the door to find the bathroom. I needed a few seconds to catch my breath. I felt like I hadn't taken a breath since I'd gotten here.

I ran into the bathroom, and grabbed the sink as I leaned against it staring into the mirror before closing my eyes. My legs were wobbly, and my heart was still racing from seeing Theo. He hadn't spoken at all since the meeting started. He just stared at me and watched every move I made. I could feel his eyes on my neck when I took a sip of my water. When I smiled or gave a small laugh his eyes wandered to my lips. Thoughts of the night we met came rushing back to me. His strong arms holding me, his lips leaving kisses down my neck, his hands grabbing my hips pulling me to close him. It was all too much. There was no chance I was going to survive the next few months.

I stood up straight preparing to head back out to the restaurant when the door to the bathroom opened. I paid no attention to the person behind me until I heard the door close and lock. Crap.