31. Party 3.0

Bea's POV

   I've been laying in my bed for going on a week now. I was trying my best not to wallow, but damn if that wasn't I was doing. For 5 days now I've been having a pity party for one, hats and balloons galore.

    My parents both knew something was wrong the second I came in the house from the treehouse that night, but neither asked. My dad was the one who had been coming to check on me the most, which was strange, he was normally best about giving me space.

    I suffered through school and family dinner, and then resided up to my room for the night and had no intentions of coming out until the next morning when I was expected to. I was doing my best though to stop doing that, even if I didn't want to.

    There was no point in crying and whining over a boy who didn't love me back. Even if I knew he did. But Harry hadn't even attempted to reach out to me, not once. And he still hadn't come to school. I had seen Gemma in the hallways, and every time we made eye contact she just put her head down and looked away quickly.

    I had no idea what I had done to have the tables turned on me so quickly, but I was passed being mad and was just sad now. I missed them, both of them. Gemma had become a fast friend of mine, and talking to her about books and other things was something I had truly enjoyed.

    Wasn't it so weird how you could know someone so well, and they be in your life everyday, and then the next you act like strangers? But yet, you know everything about the person, and probably always will. Life was so weird like that. It sucked.

    A soft knock sounded on my door, and I knew who it was without even lifting up my head. "Come in."

    My poked her head in and smiled at me. "Hey, Sweet Bea."

    "Hey mom."

    "You okay?" She asks, and walks into my room and takes a seat on my bed next to me.

    "Getting there." I say.

     "Want to talk about it?"

    "Harry and I broke up." Saying those words aloud somehow make the pain even more raw.

    "Not going to beat around the bush, I kinda figured that was what was bothering you with how upset you've been acting."

    "How'd you know?" I ask her.

    She shrugs her shoulders and then moves some hair off my forehead. "Sometimes a mom just knows. And, I remember getting my heart broke when I was your age too, and you liked a lot like I did back then."

    "You did?"

    "Yep. His name was Jackson Knight." She laughs softly.

    I giggle at this. "Dear God, mom, you still remember his name?"

    She laughs too. "I don't think any girl ever forgets anything about the boy who breaks her heart for the first time."

    I groan at this. "Oh, that's lovely." I roll my eyes when she smiles sadly again. "How did he break your heart?"

    My mom leans back on my legs with her hand holding her head up, and she gets a faraway look in her eyes. "I met him over the summer, at the pool everyone used to go to when we were kids. He was new in town, so of course everyone was swarming him and trying to make friends with him. He was this new, cool, handsome guy, and he totally knew it too." She laughs and shakes her head. "And for some reason, out of everyone, he wanted me. We spent that whole summer together, just about everyday. We went swimming, to the carnival, movies, bowling, camping. I mean, we did everything together, and we had the best time. We laughed all day long together, and at the end of everyday, we were already planning what we'd do the next day. We couldn't get enough of each other."