December 21st: The Sugar Plum Fairy (Rina)

Author's Note: BTW Gina is a sophomore and Ricky is a junior. E.J is a senior in this. Nini and Ricky aren't dating. Also sorry for all the time skips again but it is necessary.

*December 11th, 2019*

Gina's POV:

Ashlyn and I sat in the student lounge talking about the Spring musical when my phone rang. I excused myself from our conversation and went to take the call by the vending machines where there was more privacy.

"Hey mom, what's up mom aren't you at work?" I said cheerfully to my mom who was on the other line.

"I am. I have some bad news for you sweetie. My job location at FEMA has been transferred to the east coast for two weeks. They are expecting a big blizzard and our team is working on the aftermath plan. I won't be able to watch you in your big musical debut of the Nutcracker. I'm really sorry G. Your uncle Tyler is picking you up from school today and will be staying at the house until it's safe for me to come back." My mom said with a sad tone since she knew how much this performance meant to me.

"Momma why does this have to happen every month? Why can't we just be a normal family that stays in the same place for at least five years? When we got to Salt Lake City, you found me the perfect school and dance studio. Now your saying you can't even come see me perform. Why do things have to change so often?" I cried into my phone while I pretended to get a snack from the vending machine so that my friends wouldn't notice me crying.

"I'm really sorry sweetie. On the bright side, I'll be home in time for Christmas. There sending us back for a day so that we an see our families. I love you so much don't forget that. I got to go now. My lunch break is almost over. Tell Uncle Tyler that he's not allowed to cook in the kitchen. He could burn the place down. Bye love." My mom said before hanging up.

Why does this have to happen to me? I just want my mom to see me perform as the Sugar Plum Fairy in our annual Christmas Ballet show. Is it too much to ask?

I stood by the snack wiping my tears and trying to calm down for a few more seconds before going back to the couch where Ashlyn was sitting waiting for me. Instead of engaging in another conversation, I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door to the girls' restrooms. I needed to be alone.

*********

Ricky's POV:

Big Red sat in a beanbag chair across from me talking about some movie that was playing at his allergist office last weekend, when all of a sudden, I saw Gina Porter's hair flash by us. While I was zoning out of Big Red's conversation, I stared at her beautiful hair and noticed that she was walking to the vending machine room and had her cell phone in her hand.

"Dude, are you even listening to me? Do you even know what movie I am talking about?" Big Red exclaimed as he put his hand in my face to get my attention.

"Shhhhh...Be quiet. I'm trying to figure out if this is the right moment to talk to Gina Porter." I replied as I shushed my best friend and stared at Gina who was picking out a snack.

"Rude. I guess I'll just tell Ashlyn about Shrek 3 then." Big Red exclaimed as he walked off to find his crush.

After Big Red went to go find Ashlyn, I saw Gina pick up her backpack from the couches nearby and run away quickly down the hall. I wonder what that's all about? Maybe I should go check on her. After all, we did have a moment after homecoming, and I think it's growing on me. There's nothing to not like about Gina Porter. She's the definition of perfect.

After slinging my backpack onto one of my arms carelessly, I quickly ran after her and noticed that she had ran into the East Courtyard Women's' restrooms. I didn't want to be that creepy guy who walks into girls' restrooms, so I stood outside near the juniors' lockers waiting for her.