Chapter Fourteen

"I look like a half inflated balloon," Sage moaned as she walked behind Letoya and Trisha into the mall.

They laughed and turned to face her, Sage was pulling down the ankle length floral summer dress she had on paired with nude flat sandals.

"No, you don't," Trisha attempted to reassure her through laughs.

"But y'all are laughing," Sage was about to cry.

"Oh my God, you look fine Sis," Letoya said and linked her arm with Sage's.

Sage nodded her head and they walked further in.

"Where do we start?" Letoya asked.

"Sage?" Trisha peered at Sage who wiped her eyes.

"A movie?" Sage shrugged.

"Didn't we come to shop?" Letoya let go of her arm and Sage reached for it and put it back in its position, "I think we need to call JR, you're too clingy."

Trisha eyed Letoya, "We can shop after the movie," she said.

Sage smiled, "Yay!" she squealed like a toddler.

Letoya rolled her eyes, "You lucky you're pregnant, that wouldn't fly if you weren't."

"Why are you being so mean to me?" Sage whined.

Letoya stopped, "Oh Lord, this finna be a long day."

Trisha laughed, "We knew what we were getting ourselves into," she told Letoya, "So let's be kind aunties and treat mommas."

"Fiiine," Letoya drew out before mumbling under her breath.

"She said something mean," Sage said in a tiny cracked voice and left Letoya's hold to go closer to Trisha.

Trisha couldn't stop laughing, "Damn, now I gotta treat y'all like kids," she looked at Letoya, "Say sorry Toya."

Letoya stared at Trisha then her stepsister, "Damn Sage, sorry."

Sage smiled and went to embrace Letoya, "Thank you."

"Yeah yeah, let's go watch that movie," Letoya said and removed herself from Sage's hold, "I hope it's a horror too."

"Oh hell no."

"No thanks."

Trisha and Sage spoke simultaneously.

...

Sean's handset rang and he lifted his finger to shoosh the men and one woman around the long table in the boardroom of his office.

He answered the call and put the phone to his ear.

"Boss, they're not here," Jo spoke.

"What do you mean?" Sean bellowed and Brian, who was present as well eyed him.

"They're gone, the room was empty," Jo spoke carefully.

"Jamal?" Sean tried to control his anger.

"No one has seen him all morning," Jo admitted.

Sean pushed his chair and stood up, he exited the boardroom and marched to his office, "How did this happen? You know I don't appreciate sloppiness on the job," he shouted as he entered a room that had glass for walls.

The whole office was filled with glass and mirrors, displaying colour as the sun shone in.

"Boss, I had someone keep an eye on them as I prep-"

"I asked you! For a reason. You better have them in my basement by the time I get home," Sean then dropped the call.

He slid his phone across his desk and approached a side table to pour himself whiskey.