Chapter 39

Running my fingers through my hair, I lean against the wall of the hallway as I watch Damien walk through the apartment with boxes full of my belongings in his arms. The males arms flexing slightly as he uses his quirk to lift each of the boxes before loading them into his car and strapping them in to make sure nothing would break or fall over. His hair was pinned back into a man bun and his jacket was set down on the couch to make sure that it didn't get in the way of his work. A small chuckle leaving his lips every now and then whenever Angel barks at him for coming in and out of the apartment constantly.

With Keigo and mom at Keigo's hero agency, Damien and I were left to continue moving the boxes from my apartment to Keigo's apartment. Mom went to give her statement to help Keigo track down whoever it is that's targeting me. She went without a complaint, she didn't even kick up a fuss! She went with him calmly and politely. She even offered to take her own car! Something that I didn't believe she would have done... maybe this was more serious than I anticipated... that there is a bigger picture behind this instead of threatening to take me away...

While Damien closes the trunk of his car, he looks toward me and sends me a small smile as I pick Angel up and head into the passenger seat of the car. Once Angel is secure in her dog car seat and she's safe, I sit in the passenger seat and buckle myself in while Damien locks up the apartment. A small smile playing on my lips as I check up on Angel before letting Damien slide into the front seat and start up the car.

As Damien pulls out of the driveway, I quickly check my phone to make sure that Keigo and my mom are okay. My heart sinking at the message that Keigo sends after I sent him a quick 'is mom okay?' text. The message he sends me tells me that my mother had a little breakdown after giving her statement. That she became distraught over explaining whatever she had to for her statement. So, to help her calm down, Keigo has sitting her in his office and making sure she's okay. That he is making sure she doesn't make herself sick with how upset she is. Telling me that I don't need to worry and that she's safe with him.

Upon seeing that, a small frown stretches across my face. My forehead creasing as I lean back into the passenger seat and take a deep breath. My mother never got so upset whenever she talked about dad... is the threat of me being taken away finally breaking the camels back? Does she know the extremity of this? What happened to mom? This doesn't make sense. What happened to dad? What happened that made my mom so distraught about giving her statement? Was he killed? Was he murdered? Was he involved in something that we weren't supposed to know about?

I just didn't understand...

When dad had died, I was really young (probably in elementary school) and my sister had just started middle school. We were told that my father died in an 'accident'. The term was loosely used and made his death ambiguous to anyone that had asked. She didn't tell Amai or I about the details of his death. All we knew that he had died in an accident. We never knew what the accident was nor how he actually died...

Now mom has come out with something that neither of us knew about... something that she has been keeping from us ever since we were little...

The memories of my dad were quite little. I mean, I was very young when he died and the memories I do have were always full of smiles and happiness. He would take me out flying, letting me touch the clouds above us. He would let me do things that mom wouldn't necessarily allow, would give me treats when mom would tell me no. He would let me wear his halo too! Then, the one memory that I always hold dear to me, was whenever we could cuddle he would hold me close to his chest and wrap his wings around us. Like a safety barrier.

Like how Keigo cuddles me...

It's probably why Keigo makes me feel so safe and happy. Whenever Keigo and I cuddle he wraps his wings around me to make he feel safe. Something that my father did with me. I mean, even when I was single I would wrap my own wings around my body to keep me safe and make me relax. It reminds me of my dad... the tender moments that I would have whenever I had a bad day or needed reassurance. He was always there for me...