04 | Thirty two beats per nineteen seconds

"When you hear my heartbeat baby, you give me a new life you give me a new birth I feel you're heartbeat away I've
been losing my mind, I've been craving my shine "
~ Heartbeat (BTS)

This chapter just busted my plans for alternate POVs for the whole freaking book. And I am not re-planning or re-writing anything, just going with the flow.

E L L O R A

"Mum...." I start when I'm finally able to get over my shit and realise I have a voice, which can also be used to explain.

But someone else beats me to it.

"Thank you Mr. Langdon. Would you like to come inside? " mum asks, smoothly looking at the man, as if currently, said man's hands aren't clasped around her untouchable-by-men daughter's arms.

Wait, what?

Mum isn't....reacting?

"Thank you Mrs. Davis, not today. " The familiar deep voice from close behind me says sedately, startling me once again. I'm not sure if the beauty of his voice is my reason for getting startled or his close proximity.

"Surely some other time." He continues.

If I said I was completely frozen before, I was bluffing. It is right now that all my senses are glued to each other to never work ever again. Not even to escape from Mr. Langdon's hold -

Wait, Mr. What? Langdon definately rings a bell. And then realization hits me as I begin to place his voice and name together. No...please not him of all people...I've accused this man of a lot of things on my way here....not him...

"Are you sure Mr. Langdon? You helped us a great deal today, we would love to return the favour. " Mum says in the same calm tone.

How in the name of the Holy Grail does mum know this man so well, as to downright invite him inside the house, when I haven't managed to speak even a syllable to him in the past three years?

"No worries Mrs. Davis. Receiving your daughter was no problem at all." He says in that beautiful familiar voice from right behind me.

Receiving me?
Okay...something is so not right in this whole ordeal.

"Very well Mr. Langdon " mum says flashing a smile towards the man behind me.

Well, she never smiles at me that way.

"We'll leave you two to see each other of."

Am I hallucinating? Or is this woman mum's imposter? There is no chance on Heaven, Earth or Hell for my mother to say something as this.

Mum goes out of sight, without acknowledging me or my presence for even once. This does not sound good at all.

For a minute everything is draped in complete silence. Ethan stands at the threshold with his mouth agape, while this man, who I still refuse to accept as my Advanced Physics professor, stands behind me, my back against his front, his hands still clasped around my arms.

"Ethan, get back inside right now!" mum breaks the silence a couple seconds later with her shouting.

With an uncertain gaze shifting from him to me, he quickly gets back inside shutting the door softly behind him.

Now it is only me and...ahem, my  Physics professor.

Neither of us speaks and neither does he leave hold of my arms. My heart starts beating fast again. It was probably beating this fast all the time. What with so many unfathomable incidents suddenly taking place all in one night in my oh-so-boring life and mum finding me in the arms of another man when I returned home after curfew and actually approving it, I cannot blame my heart for beating irregular.