Chapter thirty: Neptuna

I snuck to Carrie's cabin. He was still packing.

The look of heartbreak on his face told me that he was still thinking about what I had done.

I shook the thought out of my head and gripped my note.

After a moment, I reread the note I had written.

"Dear Carrie,

I'm so sorry. I didn't mean it. Please forgive me.

Good luck. Make sure Sophia's okay.

Don't die. I swear to all the gods, I'll track you down and murder you if you die, you freaking idiot.

I love you.

--Neptuna"

As Carrie went to grab something from another room, I opened the window and dropped my note on his backpack. Then I quickly jumped back out the window and shut it behind me.

Carrie returned and saw the note. He picked it up and unfolded the sheet, then read it to himself.

I watched his expression change from confusion to relief to shock, then back to relief. He carefully folded the note and placed it in one of his pockets.

With his back to the window, he continued packing. Once he was finished, he shouldered the backpack and turned so I could see his face.

I almost gasped.

He was crying. He motioned to the note while wiping away tears.

"I can't read a word of this." He let out a laugh. "But I still love it."

I threw the window open and rushed into his arms. "Carrie, please forgive me."

"N-Nep!" He gasped and hugged back.

I realized that I was shaking and tightened my arms around Carrie to try and hide it. But he was shaking too, so it didn't really matter.

"Carrie, I'm so sorry..." I whispered.

"It's okay, it's okay... We're okay now. We're together now."

"I love you... So much."

"I know." Carrie nodded. "I know, Nep, I know."

A few minutes of us silently standing there in each other's arms later, I finally got the strength to loosen my embrace.

"Good luck." I told Carrie.

"I'll try." Carrie smiled weakly. "Good luck isn't really something I have often."

"Don't die, then."

"Can't promise anything." He smirked.

"Promise me, that you won't die." I ordered. "Promise."

"Can't." He shrugged, still smirking.

"Fine. Then I swear on the River Styx that if you die, I'll find you in the Underworld. Then I'll kill you again."

"Actually that won't really work, when I die I always imagined this huge auction of all of the immortals bidding on who gets use me as a slave."

"First, you're already a slave to the gods. Second, you're an idiot."

"So are you."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"I love you more."

"Impossible."

"Nothing's impossible." I kissed his cheek.

He brushed my hair out of my face and rested his forehead against mine, closing his eyes. His scarred hands were on either side of my face.

"...Neptuna, I want your permission."

"My permission?" I questioned.

"I want your permission to go and help Sophia."

"It's yours." I smiled. "As long as you pay the price of a kiss."

Carrie laughed. "I dunno, seems expensive..." He mocked.

"Permission denied, then." I smirked.

He gently kissed me.

"Price paid." He grabbed his bag. "I'm off."

"Stay safe. Don't get hurt." I squeezed his hand.

"I'll do my best."

"See you."

"Bye."

"I don't like goodbyes." I shook my head. "It's only until next time."

"Then until next time." He smiled softly before opening a portal and leaving.