Chapter twenty eight: Carrie

Once I saw Reyna I felt a certain ping of sadness, I missed the good old days when it was just the camp leaders, twice a year, talking about the newest additions to our camps.

The thrill of breaking our camp's rules and traditions merely by saying hi to each other. I've been keeping this from Wallace for this long, but when he finds out... Well, it won't end well.

Neptuna burst through the door, fuming.

"What's got you in a knot?" Reyna asked her.

"That idiot Scott was flirting with me."

I growled and clenched my fists.

How dare he! I could hardly tolerate it when it was at the expo. And now, in my camp, under my nose?

He's dead meat.

I stormed out of the cabin.

Scott was grasping his nose, which looked broken and was bleeding. I grabbed him by the front of his shirt and threw him onto the ground. Then I took hold of his arm and dragged him up to my cabin.

I slammed him against a wall.

"Scott Maggs. You will now be punished for breaking the most important rule at Camp Ops." I hissed then turned around and kissed Neptuna.

She was tense from surprise at first, but wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed back.

I knew that there was a group of trainees outside, watching. This was the first kiss they'd ever seen Neptuna and I share.

I reluctantly pulled away to glare at Scott.

"She's mine." I spat. "Now go to the healers before I break something else."

"Wh— But I thought Hot Stuff was yours!" Scott exclaimed.

I cringed.

"I am Hot Stuff. And don't call me that." Neptuna was obviously pissed.

I opened the door and grabbed Scott's collar. "Someone escort this idiot to the healers." I shoved him out the door, into the crowd.

Then I put my arm around Neptuna's shoulders and sat down with her.

A couple of minutes later Apollo yawned and came in. I'd seen that look before, he must not have gotten enough sleep last night.

"Carrie, you shouldn't have your arm around her." Reyna sighed. "It's unprofessional."

"So what? We're at his camp. He does what he wants." Neptuna glared.

"All the more reason for him to look professional." Reyna glared back.

"Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty! Calm down!" Apollo pointed a palm at each of them without opening his eyes.

"Shut it." Reyna snapped.

"It's unprofessional to to tell a former god to shut up." Neptuna crossed her arms.

"Why you little—" Reyna stood up.

Maybe I should say something...

"Reyna." I finally interrupted, pulling my arm away from Neptuna. "Take your seat, please."

She huffed and sat back down.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Neptuna looking upset, I understood, she hadn't wanted me to take my arm off of her shoulders. I hadn't wanted to either, but Reyna was right.

"Sorry I'm late." Chiron wheeled in in wheelchair form.

"No need for sorry's, we would never start without you." I assured the mentor.