Chapter thirty nine: Carrie

Each moment I was alive made me wish I had taken my parents' place. I would much rather be dead right now than thinking.

Thinking about the horrors,

Of their funeral.

No longer was I aware of the day, or week, or month, or year.

No longer did I care.

Tony would visit once in awhile, to make sure I was okay.

But I wasn't.

His teammates, his friends would visit as well.

Steve saying it could happen to anyone.

Natasha saying everything is going to be alright, though I can see it in her eyes that she doesn't believe.

Bruce making sure I hadn't hurt myself.

Clint never knew what to say, though the others dragged him along. He would just throw me glances of pity.

I didn't need pity.

I didn't want pity.

Thor wouldn't say anything.

That was fine with me.

Tony was the only one that truly cared.

He remembered when he was captured by the terrorists. He just hoped this wasn't the case.

At times I would just lock myself in my room and train. Everyone in the house knew to keep their distance from me.

That is, until...

"Carrie?" Angita poked her head in the door.

"What?" I sighed.

"There's uh, someone here to see you."

"And who would that be? Shouldn't they know to keep their distance?" I demanded.

"Not really... It's Neptuna."

I looked at Angita. Of course Neptuna wouldn't know to give me some distance.

"...Tell her I'm not here."

"I've tried."

"Then why is she still here?"

"She said she isn't leaving until she sees that you're okay. She chained her leg to the stairs."

"My gods." I rubbed my head.

Neptuna's insane.

"What should we do?"

"Have Tony tell her to unchain herself. I'm fine."

"I wouldn't have Tony lie to her." Angita frowned.

"I'm fine." I repeated.

"...Alright then." Angita sighed and shut the door behind her.

I went back to beating up the dummy I had brought in.

There was a huge bang from downstairs and I stumbled. The house had shaken.

"What in the hell...?" I wondered aloud.

"Jesus Christ!" I heard Tony yell, then he went into a plethora of colorful swears of confusion.

"Let me see him, Tony!" Neptuna yelled from downstairs.

"He's fine!" Angita said loudly. "Really, there's no need to cause an earthquake!"

"Get your hands off of me, you drunkard!" Neptuna screamed, obviously to Tony. "Let me see him!"

"Dear, he isn't here! I've told you!" Angita pressed.

"And I don't believe you!" Neptuna sounded very, very angry. Was she angry at me, or Angita, or Tony?

"Lady Neptuna! Please, calm down!" I heard Thor say.

"Thor, shut up! Now let me see him!"

I covered my ears, hoping to shut out the yelling. I had too sensitive of ears to be hearing this.

"Be quiet." I mumbled. "Be quiet. BE QUIET!" I growled and punched the wall.

The glass, engineered to withstand a drakon attack, cracked under the force as the building shook.

Downstairs went silent.

But I knew no one would come.

Chris had taken Elymas back to camp, Chris stayed to be in the comfort of his friends.

A small piece of paper was slid under the door.

You said to be quiet, so that's what I'll do.

But, please Carrie, I'm worried.

Love, Neptuna

Crumpling the note up, I walked over to the trashcan and threw it away then grabbed my notepad.

Angita told you to leave.

We had sometimes passed notes like this as long as I could remember.

Since when do I listen to adults?

Since never.

Exactly. Are you okay?

I'm fine.

No you aren't. If you want a hug or anything, I'm here for you. I promise.

I don't need a hug. I'm fine.

Carrie, you do know that it's okay to feel emotion, right? That it's okay to want a hug, to want comfort?

Yes, I know.

Could you tell Angita to stop trying to make me leave? I really just want to sit here and pass notes with you. It's better than going to meetings while I worry about you.

She has a good reason for asking you to leave. I would also like you to leave. I'm fine.

This was a total lie. I didn't want her to leave. Ever.

Just cause you want something doesn't mean you'll get it.

That's true, I guess. Especially with you involved.

What's that supposed to mean?

Nothing.

Yeah right. Are you sure there isn't any way I can help you? I'm so sorry.

Sorry doesn't change anything. And no, I'm fine.

Can I at least see you face-to-face? Even if only for a few seconds? I won't talk, I won't touch you. I just want to see you.

I thought for a minute before sliding a message back.

I don't want you to see me like this.

I opened the door a notch and slid through a picture frame.