Chapter thirty eight: Neptuna

I haven't seen Carrie in a few days, last I heard from him was last week, which was our date at the Fulton County fair.

In fact, no one's seen him.

Grace says that her way of, like, stalking him isn't working either.

I was walking around Camp Ops, doing my routine checks of the groups and I spied two adults walking toward the praetor cabin.

"Must be council." I murmured and jogged over to the cabin.

Grace looked up from her work when they walked in, me a little behind them, surprised that there were men in her cabin, but then her face morphed into fear.

"David, Jeffery," She sat up. "W-What can I do for you?"

"Have you been in contact with the praetor recently?"

"No, is he alright?" Grace stood up.

"We don't know. Would you be able to get a message to him?"

"I-I can try." She nodded.

"Please inform him that we're trying our best but the chances are extremely slim."

"Extremely slim for what?"

"Finding his step father."

"He's M.I.A.?" I asked, shocked. "Well isn't his mom looking for him?"

"She's, uh..." David looked to Jeffrey for assistance.

"She was killed in battle." Jeffrey sighed. "The Praetor mustn't've told you. Well, now you know."

I gasped.

So did Grace.

"Make sure you get the message to him." David said nervously before pulling Jeffrey out the door with him.

I stared after them, not knowing what else to do.

Carrie's mother, one of the only people he cared about, was gone. And his stepfather was missing in action.

Now all that Carrie had left was Grace, Chris, and myself. There wasn't really anyone else he cared about as much as us.

When I was sure they were both gone and out of earshot I spoke up.

"I have to go see him."

"No you won't. He needs time and space."

"He's had a week. And what he needs is a hug." I started walking toward the door.

"Trust me, no he doesn't." She called after me.

"Grace, you know how I get when I'm worried about him... Please?" I turned and pouted.

"No." She shook her head. "If you want to give someone a hug, hug me. Or go around offering free hugs. I don't know."

"If I go around offering free hugs here I'll probably be murdered."

"True. But that doesn't mean you should find Carrie and hug him. He needs space... Wha-what about Apollo? Shouldn't you be watching him?"

"That reminds me..." I thought for a moment and prepared to make a run for it. "You're watching him." I said and bolted.

"Are you kidding me?" She yelled after me.

"Nope!"

"YOU BETTER NOT GO LOOK FOR CARRIE!"