Chapter twelve: Carrie

I didn't feel bad about killing Clytius, but I had to make sure Neptuna was okay. So I took of at a run through the pit.

How long I ran, I had no idea. If I could open a portal just to check on her I would.

Then I spotted it, the familiar figure of Ares.

"Oh no." I rubbed my face and ran faster.

Ares was standing on the edge, looking as if he were ready to take a dive. His eyes were as black as the chasm below.

"Snap out of it." I growled and pulled the god back. "Now let's get going. I'm kind of in a hurry."

Ares collapsed.

A voice, raspy and cold, resonated from the pit of Chaos.

"My sssssonnnn..." It hissed. "Joooiiinnnn meeee..."

I froze in my tracks, blood running cold.

"Your Olympians are lying... You are of my blood... Of my power..." It continued, prying itself into the deepest corners of my mind and tugging at my brain.

The voice was getting louder. I cringed.

"Come to me, my child... Come to meeee..."

I shook my head, attempting to get rid of the strange voice, I managed to stumble away from the edge of the pit and away from the voice. The voice hurt my ears, like nails on a chalkboard.

I took a deep breath to clear my head and used a free hand to tap to the gods,

Open a portal to Olympus.

It's not working, something's blocking the connection.

Damn. Hang on, I'll get farther from the pit of Chaos. Then it might work.

I heaved the god over my shoulders and made my way to a tall rock spire, far away from the pit.

Something or someone grabbed me and covered my mouth. I dropped Ares and was dragged away, Ares left on the ground.