Chapter forty: Carrie

Every time I got sad, every time something happened, someone got shot, or worse... I would always look at this picture.

The only family picture I owned.

Neptuna, on the other side of the door, went 'silent' by not passing notes. Then, a few minutes later, she passed one under.

Carrie, I'm so sorry. Your life is horrible. I wish I knew how to comfort you. I'm so so sorry.

As I read the note, I could hear faint sniffles on the other side of the door. And there were small drops of water on the note. Neptuna must be crying.

My life isn't all that bad, I am rich after all... and I have Angita, along with the rest of the gods that look after me.

You grew up without your parents for most of the time. You were always teased for having so much money. You went through intense military training since day one. You had to become an emotionless rock. Now your parents are possibly gone.

They are—

I stopped writing, hearing Angita's voice call to me from downstairs.

"Carrie!" She yelled. "There's a package for you!"

I crossed out what I had previously written and wrote:

I have to go downstairs.

I'll go.

I didn't answer, knowing she had gotten up and gone downstairs.

My highly trained ears hear Angita ask gently, "Dear, why are you crying?"

Neptuna didn't answer. I heard her surprisingly quiet footsteps approach once more. She gently tapped the door and I opened it a crack. She handed me the package and I shut the door again.

I heard Neptuna sit down against the door. I did the same on my side.

I looked at the package. Before I could open it though, I felt Neptuna shift. She seemed to lay her head against the door.

"Carrie," She whispered. "I love you. I'll always be here for you. Whether you want me here or not. I swear on the River Styx. I love you."

"I know." I breathed then stood up and sat on my bed. I could hear Neptuna stand and leave.

I pressed my watch and cut the tape with my knife. Inside the box sat a single rectangular piece of technology.

A thumbdrive?

"Tony!" I yelled.

"Yeah Tiny?" He responded.

"Do you have a laptop?" I questioned.

"I'm the owner of the world's top tech company! Why wouldn't I have a laptop?"

"Don't be a smart ass with me! Come on, meet me in the kitchen!" I grabbed the box and started out of my room.

"Why do you need a laptop?" Tony questioned, setting his own laptop on the table.

I sat down in front of the laptop and placed the box in front of Tony, who remained standing.

Tony eyed the box before slowly opening it. His eyes widened as he saw the contents.

"Carrie..." Tony started. "You might not want to look into this..."

"Why not?" I questioned, picking up the thumb drive and slipped it into the slot in the laptop.

"It's just... it's a bad idea."

I shrugged, "I'm used to following up on bad ideas. Now, can you work this?"

"Fine." He huffed, turned the laptop towards himself and started typing away.

Soon he turned it back towards me.

It was a video.

"Mr. Martin." The video started. "We apologize for your mother's death, but we only needed one of your parents."