Chapter forty two: Neptuna

Assassin.

Butcher.

Cutthroat.

Hitman.

Killer.

Murderer.

Carrie.

I'm dating a murderer.

Oh, good gods above, why am I in love with a murderer?

"...Because he's not really... He's not bad..." I sighed heavily, sitting down in the corner.

The image of Carrie —in his black spandex superhero suit, with yet-to-be-dry blood spattered and smeared over his chest, arms, and face— was plastered into my mind.

I wiped the fresh tears from my cheeks.

"This wasn't the first time he has killed someone in cold blood." Someone spoke.

I turned my head to the side to see none other than my dad, Poseidon, standing there.

"I was ordered not to come, but I had to warn you. Darling, you don't have to stay here, you can come live with me."

"...Warn me?" I blinked.

"Yes, my dear. I was ordered not to come, by the other gods, but I couldn't let you go on without a warning."

"Warning about what?"

"The boy. The Martin boy."

"Carrie? Why would you need to warn me about him?"

"You said it yourself, he's a killer. A murderer. Don't trust him, he's—"

"Poseidon!" Angita appeared behind him.

Poseidon sighed and slowly turned around. "Ah, Angita."

"I thought we talked about this. We all agreed—"

"That was before—"

"Come on, we can discuss this somewhere else."

"Neptuna has a right to know—" He began slowly, though his voice was low, like an argument was about to start.

"If Carrie doesn't even have a right to know than there is no way that Neptuna has a right to know."

"She'll listen in anyway."

"I am aware of that."

Damn right I would listen in. I had to know why Poseidon had come to warn me.

Lima came out and looked to me.

"Go with Tony, trust me, you don't want to hear this."

Then she closed the door.

"Like that's going to happen." I scoffed and placed my ear next to the door.

But I didn't really need that to listen to them.

Immediately I ripped my ear from the door as they started yelling.

"She had a right to know!" Poseidon yelled, I didn't hear what set him off but, wow, was he loud.

"Then you tell Carrie before his father does!"

"That was already taken care of."

"Oh really? When! Last time I checked you were voting to lock him in a prison cell!"

"You also voted for his death last year!" Lima yelled.

"That is beside the point!" Poseidon boomed.

"I don't think that's at all beside the point." Virtus spoke, out of everyone I thought he was going to yell. "We stay here for protection, safety, and to prevent the inevitable."

"The inevitable, exactly! That's all I want to warn Neptuna about!"

"If you warn her, she'll tell him. And then everything that we've worked for is for nothing."

"If he knows then he'll realise what he is."

"If he realizes what he is, then maybe he'll leave her alone!"

"Hey, Nep, do you want to go on a walk with me?"

I jolted up, and turned around, Carrie was standing in front of me, cleaned up and in a baggy sweatshirt and jeans.

He never told me how he lost his Nemean Lion skin sweatshirt, but I assumed it was in the "Vegas Incident".

"Uh..." I muttered quietly, looking at him. "...Yes. I do."

His eyes lightened, a little.

"I'm sorry about earlier." I mumbled, looking down. "You're not a murderer. You may have killed people, but... It doesn't really matter to me. I... I still love you."

"No, it's fine... I... I acted out of line. I was stupid. I'm sorry."

"You were kind of justified, I guess... If my mom or dad had been taken prisoner, I would have attacked the people holding them too..." I finally looked up at Carrie.

"Come on," He placed his arm over my shoulders, "We can walk around the grounds, all of this yelling is giving me a headache."

I flinched as he put his arm around me, but wrapped my own arm around his waist nonetheless. "I've got a headache too... Not only because of the yelling, though..."

"Why?"

"I dunno... I guess I kind of feel sick..." That was partially true. I did feel sick... From looking at Carrie, covered in blood.

Carrie's cold hand shot to my forehead. "Sick?" He asked, sounding mildly concerned. "Nausea? Dizziness? Are you alright? Do you need to sit down?"

"Calm down, Blondie." I smiled weakly and pulled his hand off my forehead. "I'm totally fine."

Carrie was silent for a moment, before sighing and hugging me without another word.

I accepted the embrace.

Sometimes you just have to forget the world and just hug your problems away.

It always made me feel better.

After a few minutes of walking around the lawn Carrie stopped and frowned.

"Neptuna..." He pressed his watch and his bow appeared on his shoulder.

"What is it?" My hand instinctively latched onto my pen.

A girl fell in front of us. With blonde hair pulled into a tight braid, and brown eyes that had seen the horrors of war. She wore jeans and a camouflage tank top, with a crystal necklace. She reached her arm out and a spear flew into her grasp.

"Come on Honey, this is who you replace me with?"