Chapter 24: Nuggets with worries

I looked through the window of our house. I had a perfect vision on our living room right now. My dad was sitting on the couch, watching the television while my mom was in the kitchen. I couldn’t go inside. Dad would start yelling at me. Mom wouldn’t even look at me. I had spent the last two nights at Lynn’s house, but I couldn’t ask her to let me stay for one more night. I didn’t want her to know how bad the fight was I had with my parents. She had just dropped me off here and now I was standing here, in front of my house, with my backpack with some clothes and makeup. I sighed deeply, and then turned around to walk away from my house. I hid my hands in the pockets of my jeans and headed towards the center. I was hungry and I really wanted to eat some nuggets, so I made my way to McDonald’s. When I received my order, I took place at one of the tables and took my phone out of my bag, keeping the promise I made to Niall in the back of my mind. I already broke that promise, but he wanted to know if something was wrong. And this was wrong. I had nowhere to go. I couldn’t ask Lynn to spend another day at her house and I couldn’t go home. Maybe Niall would have a solution, but that chance would be small. I was looking at my phone for a long time, while I was eating my nuggets, constantly hesitating whether I should call him or not. If he wouldn’t have a solution, he would know about what was going on and he’d start worrying about me, and I didn’t want that, but I couldn’t just stay the night outside. I picked up my phone from the table and looked for Niall’s number. As soon as I heard the beeps, I hang up again and right after I had done that, I hated myself. “Just call him,” I softly said to myself and dialed his number again. This time, I didn’t hang up and I waited for Niall to pick up the phone.

“Hey, Eveline!” Niall’s voice sounded cheerful and an automatic smile appeared on my face.

“Hey, Niall! How are you doing? How’s the tour going?” I asked, because I wasn’t ready to tell him the problem yet.

“I’m fine, the tour is amazing! We’re having so much fun, the fans are amazing, such big and loud crowds!”

“Wow, sounds great!” I quickly said before he could ask how I was doing. “Everything alright with the other boys as well?” I wasn’t interested in how the other boys were doing at all. I just didn’t want to talk about me.

“Yep! We’re all a bit tired right now, because we woke up early today.”

“Oh, why did you have to wake up early?” I asked him. I wasn’t interested in that either.

“Interviews,” he chuckled.

“Oh, nice!”

“Yeah, they also asked about the pregnancy.” I could feel my heart drop. The conversation was just going so well.

“Oh really? What did they ask?”

“How I was feeling about it and stuff.”

“And what did you say?”

“Oh, I told them that I know that I’m still young, but that I’m happy to be the father of your child.” I smiled again. I didn’t know if he just said that because it was probably the answer the interviewer wanted, or if he really meant it, but it made me smile. “But enough about me, how are you doing?” he asked me.

“Yeah, I’m fine!” I said. God, why couldn’t I just say what was going on?

“Ah, that’s nice to hear!” Niall sounded genuinely happy because I was alright, which made it only harder to tell him that I wasn’t. But I had to do it.

“Niall?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m not fine...” I whispered.

“What did you say?” he asked.

“I’m not fine,” I now said a bit louder.

“Why not? What’s going on?” he sounded so worried right now, that I immediately regretted my decision to tell him.

“Well, I’m in a fight with my parents,” I softly said. I was talking on a lower tone right now, because I felt embarrassed if anyone would hear me saying all this over the phone and because I actually didn’t want Niall to hear it either.

“Why?” he asked me. I couldn’t explain this to him. Not right here and right now.

“Because of the pregnancy. But I’m at McDonald’s right now so yeah, it’s weird to tell all that right now.”

“Is it like, a bad fight?” I nodded, but then realized he couldn’t see that over the phone.

“Yeah… I can’t go home anymore and I’ve spent the last two nights at Lynn’s house, but now I don’t really have anywhere to go.” Niall stayed silent for a little while.

“Wow… shit…” he then said. “Eh, are you in London?”

“Yes.”

“Ok, I’m going to call management, so they can send out a car and pick you up to bring you here.”

“What? You can’t do that. I can’t just go …” Niall interrupted me.

“I can. I don’t want you to sleep in the streets or anything. You have to be safe.”

“But I still have school?”

“Not now, you’re going to stay here for the weekend at least! We’ll see what will happen next. I’m going to call management now and I’ll call you back later.” Niall hung up the phone before I could even say something more and I just stared at it again.