Chapter 3: Chocolate, the lifesaver

“Why did you just hang up on me yesterday?” Lynn asked as soon as I met her at the lockers.

“Because all I wanted to know was if you had time for me, but well, it was obviously you hadn’t at the first sentence,” I said, keeping my face straight while I was talking, even though it actually hurt to say those words. I just closed my locker and walked past her.

“But you could at least let me finish my sentence and just end the phone call like any normal person would,” she said while she was following me through the hallway. I stopped and just stared at her.

“It’s the same thing every day. It’s not like I was waiting for your excuses. If you don’t like to hang out with me, just tell me.”

“It’s not like I don’t want to hang out with you!” she protested. “You know I have a boyfriend and I need to find time for him as well.”

“Yes, but friends are forever, remember, and they need time too!” As soon as I had spoken this sentence, the sick feeling in my stomach came up again. In my head I considered whether I should run to the nearest bathroom or not. I didn’t have plenty of time to think, because I could already feel my breakfast coming up. As fast as I could, I ran to the nearest bathroom, kneeled down in front of the toilet again and I was just on time, because the next second, my breakfast was in the toilet.

“Are you ok?” I could hear Lynsey’s voice from behind me. As quickly as I could, I got up again and turned around.

“Yeah sure! Why are you here?” I asked her.

“I was fixing my makeup. Are you really feeling alright?”

“Yeah.. everything is fine!”

“It’s not! You’re feeling sick. Go home! I’ll tell the teachers.”

“I don’t want to go home, Lynsey! I’m fine!” I grabbed my bag from the floor and walked to the mirror, where I fixed my hair.

“Ev! You just threw up! You can’t go to school!”

“There’s no point at being at home either! I don’t want to be alone there and…”

“You know what, I’ll go with you! And so does Lynn and we’re going to watch sad movies with lots of chocolate, but only if the chocolate won’t make you throw up again.” A smile spread across my face and I hugged Lynsey.

“You’re the best! But Lynn and I just had an argument and…”

“About what?”

“Well, I just hung up on her yesterday because she was with her boyfriend again and I don’t know that just pissed me off.”

“Ok, let’s find her!” I couldn’t even say anything, because Lynsey pulled me by my sleeve and she was already looking for Lynn. As soon as Lynn saw us, she walked up to us.

“Why did you just run away?” she asked me.

“I felt sick and I…” I didn’t get to finish my sentence, because Lynsey interrupted me.

“She just threw up so we, you, Eveline and I, are going to her house and watch movies.” Without even looking, I knew Lynsey had put on her don’t-disagree-with-me-or-I’ll-kill-you face, because Lynn just nodded and walked with us. We took the bus back to my house and fortunately, no one was home. I took a bottle of coke from the fridge, an ice bucket from the freezer, three spoons and some chocolate and we went upstairs. “Are you sure you won’t feel sick?” Lynsey asked me, after seeing the ice cream and the chocolate. I wasn’t feeling sick at the moment. They were just waves and right now I was feeling ok.

“Yeah, I’m ok!” I said. Lynn had already chosen a movie to watch and put it in the DVD-player. We all dropped down on my bed, making ourselves comfortable and Lynsey was the first to unwrap the chocolate bar.