Chapter 7: The Stares & The Whispers

The next morning, I met Lynn and Lynsey at the lockers. “How did it go, yesterday?” Lynn asked me.

“It was weird,” I answered her. “Like, I knew the building where he lived and stuff but I didn’t know what number and I didn’t know his name either, so I just had to press a random doorbell which was the most embarrassing thing ever and yeah I don’t know. The whole conversation was just awkward.”

“And…?”

“And what?”

“What are you going to do?” I shrugged my shoulders. Not because I didn’t know the answer, but because I didn’t know if the answer was the right thing to do.

“He said he’d send me an amount of money every month and I told him he can come to visit me and the child and stuff.” Lynn and Lynsey both didn’t really know what to say. “Yeah, it’s not like I expected him to do anything else or so. I mean like, we don’t know each other.” Now they both nodded. “Ok, let’s go now. I’m sick of thinking about this.” I said and the three of us made our way through the hallway. I don’t know if it was just me, but it felt like everyone was staring at me. As if the word ‘pregnant’ was written on my forehead. I could even hear some whispers, but I told myself not to try to figure out what they were saying. It would only make me feel more insecure about it and that was the last thing I wanted. Thank God, the school bell rang and we headed off to our class room, but too bad, the whispers and stares continued. “Is it just me, or is everyone staring at me?” I softly asked Lynsey. She shrugged her shoulders.

“I didn’t notice anything. You probably just think they are because you’re pregnant.”

“See!” someone in the room shouted, as soon as Lynsey had spoken the word ‘pregnant’. Fuck, I was scared now. Was it noticeable that I was pregnant? Was I fat already? Lynsey looked around and I just raised an eyebrow at the person that shouted. I decided to act like it didn’t bother me and sat down.

“Do you think they know?” I now asked Lynsey, but I whispered, so no one would hear it.

“I wouldn’t know how. I didn’t say anything.” I now looked at Lynn.

“Lynn, don’t tell me it was too hard for you to keep your mouth shut again…” Lynn immediately shook her head.

“No, I didn’t say anything either!”

“Maybe they saw us buying the pregnancy test,” Lynsey now concluded.

“But how would they know it’d be for me. And that it’d be positive?” She now shrugged her shoulders. During class, I couldn’t pay attention to what the teacher was saying. The thoughts in my head were distracting me. And I was fucking hungry. I was the first one to get up as soon as the bell  rang again and I quickly put all of my stuff back in my bag. “Let’s go to the canteen, I’m hungry,” I said.

“You’re never hungry this early in the morning!” Lynn said and I just looked at her with a pokerface. “Oh… yeah… you gotta eat for two people now…” she said.

“Shut up. I don’t want to get reminded of it all the time.” We walked over to the canteen, and there it was again, the whispers and the stares. I tried to ignore it and we joined the queue. Someone suddenly bumped me in the shoulders.

“Slut,” the girl said, looking directly at me and her friend started laughing.

“More like groupie!”

“What’s your problem?” Lynn asked the girls in a bitchy tone.

“Well… we don’t have a problem, but I think your friend does.”