Chapter 30: Sweet dreams

That moment for myself didn’t last that long, because after about five minutes, I could hear Niall calling my name again. I turned around and pulled the blankets over my head. “Eveline, I know you’re in here. Is everything alright? Can I come in?”

“Rather not…” I said, but Niall opened the door anyway. “Why did you ask me if you’d come in anyway.”

“I just asked it so you wouldn’t be changing again…” I sighed deeply and turned around again, with my back facing Niall. “Is everything alright? You’ve been in here for three hours,” he said and I could feel him taking place on the bed. I decided to just ignore him and closed my eyes again. Those five minutes were actually three hours… That was strange. “Eveline? Please answer me. Did I do something wrong?” I still didn’t answer him. “You know it wasn’t my intention to walk in on you changing… I’m really sorry, ok? But I don’t see the problem, really. It’s not like… like I haven’t seen it before.” I sighed again.

“That’s not it.”

“Then what is it? Are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong?”

“No Niall… no.”

“Then please tell me!”

“Sometimes, I just need a little moment for myself. I’m not used to being around people this much, you know. I usually spend my afternoons by myself. I just wanted to sleep. I’m not mad at you,” I said after I had turned around to face him. He smiled a little.

“So I didn’t do anything wrong?”

“No, you didn’t. You’re doing everything right. I’m doing everything wrong.”

“You’re not. You’re being amazing,” he said while he started stroking my hair. “You let people in your life you refused to let in. You’re trying your best to stay positive throughout all the bad things you’re going through. Your life isn’t easy. How can you say you’re doing everything wrong? I think you’re doing the best you can.” I smiled a little and Niall leaned in to kiss my forehead.

“Thank you.” He continued stroking my hair. We were silent for a while, until Niall started yawning. “Are you tired?” I asked him.

“A bit. Some girl woke me up last night because she was looking for a bag of crisps in my suitcase and then we went cooking in the hotel’s kitchen…” I chuckled and moved a little, so there was enough space for Niall to lay down next to me. I pulled away the blankets, as a sign that he could take place there, and so he did.

“I’m still tired,” I said. Niall’s blue eyes were smiling at me.

“I know you are.” He placed a strand of my hair behind my ear.

“How?”

“What how?”

“How do you know?” I asked him.

“You have been for the past few days. I can see it in your eyes. And you get a little grumpy sometimes.” I chuckled.

“Sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologize.”

“Why not?”

“Because you have a reason.”

“I can’t blame everything on that stupid pregnancy.”

“But you can blame a lot on it.” I chuckled and moved myself a bit closer to him. He laid an arm around my body and his face was only a few inches from mine. And again, there was that tension to kiss him. Just like there was last night. But I didn’t want to kiss him. I didn’t want to fall for him. Even though somewhere, I knew I was falling already. It didn’t need a kiss, but I didn’t want to admit it. Not being in love was so much easier. Niall was obviously feeling that same tension, but instead of kissing me, he moved his face away from mine, by laying down on his back. I placed my head on his chest. His other arm was around me now and his hand softly tickled my back.

“Sweet dreams,” I whispered.

“Sweet dreams,” Niall said and he pressed a soft kiss on my hair.