Chapter 6: Such a great conversation... not.

I was stirring my tea while I felt Niall’s eyes burning on my face. I didn’t even have the guts to look at him and tell him what the problem was. He probably had made up some suggestions already. “Well… do you want to tell me what the problem is?” he asked me. I had to tell him. That was pretty much while we were in this cafe, not to talk about random things. I decided to just be straight to the point.

“I’m pregnant with your child,” I said, still not looking up at him.

“You’re what?”

“You heard me.” I now looked at him, and I didn’t really know what kind of expression he had on his face. It was surprised, shocked, confused… something like that.

“You’re not kidding, right?”

“No… of course I’m not.” He took a sip from his tea, which made him burn his tongue and I couldn’t help but chuckle, even though the whole situation wasn’t funny at all. Maybe it was more like a nervous giggle.

“What do we do now?” he asked, as if I had an answer on that question. I wish I had.

“Yeah… I don’t know.”

“Is it too late for abortion?” I looked at him with big eyes.

“What? Do you think I can live my life with the feeling I have killed my own child?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. But this is really not a perfect situation to raise a child either.” I nodded.

“I know… but abortion is really not an option for me. And you don’t have to keep in contact with me or anything… I just thought I should let you know, since, I mean like, you’re the father.” I had a struggle with the words I had to say.

“I understand, thank you,” he said with a smile. “I can send you an amount of money every month so you can buy stuff for the child and so you don’t have to work and things like that.”

“Yeah, that’d be nice,” I said. I really had no idea what to say in situations like these. “And ehm, feel free to visit me and our child and things like that. I mean like, yeah, you probably get what I mean.” Niall nodded.

“Eh, maybe we should exchange phone numbers so we can keep in contact.” I gave Niall my phone and he handed me his. I saved my number under the name ‘Eveline’ and gave it back to him.

“I’m really sorry that I ruined your life.” Niall gave me a confused look.

“It’s not only your fault, right?”

“Yeah, but I could have just not told you.”

“I’m glad you did. I wouldn’t like to live, knowing there’d be a mini-version of me and not knowing about it.” I chuckled.

“It’s not like you’d know…”

“Still.” We kept silent for a moment. I didn’t know what to say anyway. After a few sips from my tea, I started talking again.

“Did we use protection?” I asked it in a whisper, because it was actually an awkward question and I didn’t want the whole cafe to hear it. Niall shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t remember.”

“Me neither.”

“Well… looking at where we are right now… we probably didn’t.” We didn’t have much more to say. We just finished our tea, paid for it and then we left the cafe.

“Eh, I’ll call you whenever I think I need to, ok?” I said as soon as we were outside.

“Yeah! Same for me! Bye!”

“Bye.” We then separated our ways. I didn’t feel happy, but I did feel relieved,