Chapter 15: Some puzzle pieces

“See, it wasn’t that scary!” Niall said as we walked out of the room. He had the picture of the ultrasound in his hands, still looking at it.

“No, it was good!”

“I have a double feeling right now. I don’t want to be a dad yet, but looking at this picture makes me so happy and proud!” I smiled at him.

“I know exactly how you feel.” We stepped outside the hospital. It was weird how the weather outside was actually warmer than inside, but it was good. It was all good, right now, but still I wanted to go home. This has been pretty hectic for me and I was really tired. “But eh… You probably gotta go back to rehearsals and I gotta d…” I wanted to finish my sentence, but  I couldn’t because I suddenly felt sick. I crouched, because I had the feeling I’d fall down if I wouldn’t. I placed my hands on my head, waiting to feel better again. It only took two seconds for Niall to kneel down next to me.

“Are you ok?” he asked me, wrapping an arm around me. I just shook my head, I wasn’t able to speak. He started stroking my back and just patiently waited. When I thought I felt ok again, I got up but right after that, I got dizzy, so I crouched again. “Wow, this is really not good! I’ll call Paul so he can pick us up, ok? You’re not able to walk home!”

“No, I’m fine!” I said, trying to get up again, but I really couldn’t.

“No Eveline! I’ll lead you to that bench over there and I’ll call Paul! No protesting!” I actually felt too sick to protest, so I just let Niall help me up and lead me to the bench. He took his phone out of his pocket and from that moment, I didn’t pay any more attention. I kept my eyes locked on the ground, hoping I wouldn´t get dizzy again. “He’ll be here in a few minutes!” I just nodded and Niall wrapped an arm around my shoulders, caressing my arm with his hand. We stayed like this, until a car stopped right in front of us and Niall got up. “That’s Paul, come!” He pulled me up by my arm and lead me to the car.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, because I felt guilty right now. That Paul had to come to the hospital just to pick me up and he didn’t even know me. I didn’t know who he was either. Maybe his dad, I don’t know.

“Don’t worry! Are you feeling better already?” he asked me. I softly shook my head. “I’ll drive carefully then.” He smiled at me through his rearview mirror. “Where do you live?” he asked me, so he’d knew where to go.

“You can drop us off at my house!” Niall told him. I looked at him with a strange face.

“No, I’m fine! You have to rehearse.”

“No protesting, I told you! I’m not going to let you be alone until you feel perfectly fine again.” I just sighed and remained silent until we arrived at Niall’s apartment. I thanked Paul before Niall helped me out of the car and he took my hand again to help me walk towards his apartment.

“I feel so stupid,” I told Niall.

“Why?” he asked while he opened the front door.

“You should rehearse, not stay here with me, ok?” Niall just shook his head.

“It’s really not a problem! It’s more important that you’re feeling alright! I don’t even want to think about the things that could happen.” I followed him and we entered the living room. “I’ll give you some sweats and you can change in my room and I’ll make you some tea, ok?” I nodded and we went to his bed room, where he took a sweatpants and a hoodie out of his closet.

“Thank you,” I said with a smile. He then disappeared into the living room again. I sat down on the bed and I looked around the room. With everything I saw her, things of my remembrance came back. I recognized everything and I got a clearer view of what happened that night. And maybe the more important: I remembered why it happened. I wasn’t over Dev yet. He was still running through my mind all day and that day, he got himself a new girlfriend. I was broken and Lynn and Lynsey told me to just go out and have fun. And well yes, I did have fun! But this wasn’t what I had expected from all of it.