Chapter 21: The voice of an angel

“Would you like to watch their sound check? It’s fun and maybe it’ll distract you a bit from the mess inside your head!” Emily suggested. I just shrugged my shoulders.

“I was actually glad they had left the room…” Emily started laughing.

“C’mon! They’re not that bad! It’s quite funny to see them do their sound check, especially when they make mistakes.” I laughed a little. This girl already knew me quite well.

“Ok, only because locking myself up in this room won’t make me feel any better.” Emily smiled and hooked her arm through mine.

“Let’s go girl!” She led us to the stage, where the boys were sound checking. I didn’t know the song they were singing right now. It sounded quite familiar though, maybe I had heard it in rehearsals. It was quite funny to watch them indeed. They were jumping around a bit, looking clumsy, but their voices sounded great at the same time. Especially Niall’s voice surprised me. I never really paint attention to his voice during the rehearsals I watched. I got distracted by the weird dance moves and tattoos back then, but those weren’t interesting anymore. All I could pay attention to right now was Niall’s voice, echoeing through the arena, making its way to my ears and shooting me right into my heart. I already knew his voice was lovely when he was talking. He had this charming Irish accent which coloured his voice in such  good way. “They’re pretty good, aren’t they?” Emily woke me up from my trance and I just nodded.

“Yeah, pretty good,” I said as if I wasn’t really impressed, but from the look on Emily’s face I could tell she knew I was.

“I understand why they have a lot of fans! They’re such great guys and they’re really nice to their fans! Plus, they can sing very well and they look good!” I knew Emily was trying to change my mind about the boys, but her opinion wouldn’t make me like them. The only thing that would change my mind would be if they’d turn from a pop band into a rock band and get more tattoos (Harry and Zayn were doing a great job here) and maybe even some piercings. But that won’t happen, so I won’t like them.

It didn’t take that long for them to finish the sound check and they walked, more like jumped, up to us, all buzzing and excited for tonight. “God, I’m so excited! I really missed performing!” Louis enthusiastically says as he makes his way back to the dressing room. Emily and the boys followed him and I wanted to join them, but Niall stopped me by grabbing my wrist. I was about to let out a bitchy “what?” but Niall started talking before I even had the chance to.

“Did you like it?” he asked me.

“Why are you asking?” I said, still trying to be bitchy but it felt bad acting bitchy towards Niall. He really tried his best to make me feel comfortable around him and the boys and we both had to make the best out of this whole situation.

“I was just wondering.”

“Yes, I liked it,” I said, being honest. Well, not really. I didn’t just ‘like’ it. I was amazing, in awe. That boys’ voice had created a war inside of my head. A war between the voice in my head that tells me to hate him, and the voice in my head that tells me to love him.

“Really?” I nodded. “Wow, I’m glad! You can stay to watch our show tonight if you want!” he then suggested. I chuckled and raised an eyebrow.

“Hey, don’t get too excited sweetheart.”

“It was just a suggestion…” he said but actually, I liked his offer. I didn’t feel that bad anymore and yes, it probably was because I had watched their sound check. Emily said it’d cheer me up, it really did. I would love to hear his voice again, but on the other hand, I was afraid to get into that trance again. It scared me. It was a feeling I had never really felt before and I wasn’t sure if I could handle feeling it again. I wasn’t sure if I could handle never feeling it again either. I was just confused right now.

“I’ll think about it. Let’s go, they’re probably waiting for you,” I said and headed towards the dressing room, where Emily was busy doing Louis’ hair. Zayn and Harry were standing in their boxers, about to change into their outfits and Liam was just chilling on the couch.