Moving On

"This is my family Mr Bajaj, Kukki, Sneha, Vishaka and these two munchkins" Prerna said, saying a silent prayer and thanking God for the same.

After sometime quietly Mr Mehra came into the room.

"We need to talk. Can you come out??" Mr Mehra whispered. Mr Bajaj and Prerna looked at each other surprised. They didn't want to leave the girls. Just then Mrs Mehra walked in and signalled them to go. The trio came out.

"Sir it is better if you go to Saba's house. The news of the fire is out. Everybody press media they are all showing it. Vishaka is old enough to know and watch it. She must be getting scared. It is better if we explain everything instead of neighbours or from social media. Main aur Ashwini hain bacho ke saath. Aap.... " Mr Mehra explained. Prerna and Mr Bajaj nodded.

Saba had just shifted into her new 1bhk home a few days ago. Prerna remembered Saba's face on the day she had told her about it. The pride on her face for being able to get a roof on Vishaka's head. They were in the middle of decorating and painting it. Suddenly the car stopped and Prerna came out of her thoughts with a jerk. With a heavy heart she pressed the doorbell and Vishaka opened the door.

"Prerna mam aap?? Are you all okay?? Notification just came on my feed. Sorry aap log andar aayi naa." Vishaka said and went aside for them to come in. She then peaked out hoping to see her mother.

"Mumma nahin aayi aap logo ke saath?" Vishaka asked and the duo froze in their place and looked at one another. Vishaka continued "Main abhi aap logo ko call karnewali thi. Mumma ko kabse call kar rahin hoon she is not picking up. Maine aapka bhi try kiya but it was not reachable. Then I saw the notification and I realised what had happened. Mumma shayad Kukki aur Snehu ke saath hongi na. Are they all ok???" The little girl's belief that Saba was all ok tore both Prerna and Mr Bajaj's hearts. Vishaka continued rambling while she brought water for them.

"Vishaka!!! Beta hume aapko kuch batana hain '' Prerna said all of a sudden. There was never going to be a correct time, they will never have the strength. They had to rip the bandage off. She composed herself and took Vishaka's hand and made her sit on the couch. Prerna sat in front of her.

"What happened Mam??? Sab theek hain na??" Vishaka asked.

"Vishu bache jo aag...... aag..... lagi thi. Usme Kukki aur Sneha..... Dono.... dono... phase hue the. We.... we...... were not there with them. Sirf..... aapki mumma thi. Hum.... humlog pahuch gaye time pe .... We were trying to save them and and.... We tried our best but Vishu..... aapki ...... aapki ...... mumma....." Prerna tried to continue but she couldn't

"Mam!!!! Mam kya bol rahin hain aap??? What ..... What are you trying to say? Sir.... Sir..... Kya bol rahin hain yeh??? Kya bol rahin hain yeh???" Vishaka asked not ready to understand what Prerna was saying. The blank and sad stare of Mr Bajaj and the way he moved her face away not able to look at her anymore confirmed what Vishaka was thinking "No!!!!!! No!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!! Mummaa!!!!!" Vishaka shouted and Prerna engulfed her in her motherly embrace while the girl cried her heart out. After sometime Vishaka had gone into a deep sleep on the couch crying, tired and sad. Prerna caressed her face and then went to Mr Bajaj standing on the balcony. She touched her head to Mr Bajaj's back bringing him out of his thoughts.

"Kya ho gaya Rishab??? Kya ho gaya yeh sab??" Prerna asked and Mr Bajaj didn't say anything, just engulfed her in his arms and kissed her on the head. They stood like that for how long none remembered.

Next morning the last rites of Saba were done. There was only a prayer meet for Saba at the Dargah. All of Saba's neighbours and some of her friends with the Bajaj family and Mr Mehra attended it and all eyes were tearful. Mr Bajaj and Prerna stayed at Saba's house while Mrs Mehra took complete responsibility of the hospital. Kukki knew what they were doing and she handled herself and Sneha as needed. They had just come back from the dargarh after the prayer meet and vishaka after much cajoling from Prerna ate something and went to sleep. Prerna also went to sleep after sometime but Mr Bajaj was looking at the file that Mr Mehra had sent him. It contained every information about Mr Bose that he could find -professional and personal that until now Mr Bajaj had avoided. Mr Bajaj was done underestimating how low that man can go in his madness. He carefully studied each and every page making notes here and there forming a plan in his head. While Prerna was sleeping Mr Bajaj kissed her forehead, made sure she was covered properly, made sure Vishaka was sleeping properly and then left the house closing the main door behind him. He went straight to meet Mr Bose at the police station. Nitya was standing there with Mr Bose in the remand room discussing something when Mr Bajaj walked in.