Chapter 4 - Alate

Alate - having wings; lifted up in flight.

E V A N G E L I N E

It was an hour later and Evangeline sat in the living room waiting for Sirius.

What she had planned was possibly foolish and could possibly turn out horribly, but whats life without risk?

That's what she repeated to herself in her head as she sat at the piano, mindlessly playing songs she'd learned as a child from her mother. She didn't remember the name of the song she was currently playing, only the movements.

Her fingers glided over the keys, each note ringing out with the intended emotion. What started as mindless playing quickly turned to a song filled with reminiscing for a time long passed.

Evangeline didn't remember the last time she played the song- let alone the piano- but in that moment, it was like she never stopped.

Forgetting other people lived at Twelve Grimmauld Place, she played loudly, eyes closed as her fingers moved with muscle memory, her mind filled with memories of playing the song with her mother at their house in France, sunlight streaming in the through the open windows.

Lost in her playing, she didn't notice the two men stood in the doorway sharing glances, a conversation held in one look.

As she finished the song, her fingers pressing the keys less and less, she let out a long sigh, her eyes still closed.

Evangeline tried not to reminisce about the times before her mother had been hospitalized, but every now and then, memories would slip through and she'd have no choice but to remember.

"That was beautiful."

Jerking her head up, snapped out of her trance like state, she met the eyes of Remus, a soft smile playing at the corners of his lips, arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the doorframe, Sirius at his side.

"Oh, um, thank you," she returned the smile, closing the cover of the keys and standing, looking to Sirius, "ready to go?"

He nodded before tossing her an old jean jacket that was at least two sizes too big for her.

"Put it on," he urged, the same smile his friend wore now tugging at his lips as she tugged the jacket on. "Keep it, it looks better on you."

Evangeline was about to protest, not one to take things from people, even if its gifted, when Sirius strode from the doorway, calling out over his shoulder, "come on, then!"

Giving Remus a sheepish smile, she hurried out after the man, following him through the front door.

"Over here," she gestured him to follow her into the small park in front of Grimmauld Place.

"Angeline, someone's going to see-"

She shut him up with a raise of her finger. "They can't see you if you're in the clouds."

"In the clouds? Love, what are you on ab-"

She shut him up again by morphing into a Hippogriff, towering over him in a matter of seconds, stomping a foot at him.

Sirius gaped at her before grinning widely, "you're bloody brilliant," he chuckled as he swung himself onto her back.

Craning her neck back to look at him, he gave her an eager nod, gray eyes bright with excitement as he held on to her.

And with that, she took off.

Evangeline made sure to get into the air above London as quick as she could as to avoid being seen by muggles.