Chapter 11 - Verklempt

Verklempt - (adj.) completely overcome with emotion.

R E M U S

Remus awoke with a dull throbbing in the back of his head, something he always got after a full moon. But, something he also awoke to, was Evangeline.

Evangeline, now in her human form, was lying on the rug beside him. She was curled slightly in on herself, brown hair messing strewn about, and a beautifully peaceful expression on her face.

While he felt a pang of hunger and the continuous throbbing of his head, he didn't move, not wanting to wake her.

Glancing up to the sunlight streaming through the cracks in the closed curtains, he realized it couldn't be any earlier than noon. But still, he didn't move.

As he lay there, trying his best not to move too much and wake her, he felt a smile tugging at his lips.

Never had he had felt at such an ease during a full moon. Yes, his friends back when he was a student did help tremendously, but he'd never had someone who made him forget what he was and just was there for him. He didn't know why Evangeline wasn't afraid, why she didn't run out of the room the second she saw what he was, but he was thankful she didn't.

Ten minutes passed with him staring at the ceiling thinking. He was so enamored by Evangeline, so much so that he began to wonder if maybe there was a chance she might feel just a sliver of the same feeling for him.

The thought was interrupted by his bedroom door swinging open, Tonks standing in its place.

"Hey, Remus, there's an Order- EVANGELINE?"

An annoyed groan escaped his lips as Evangeline bolted up into a sitting position, eyes wide and hair messy. Her bangs were swept slightly to the side and she glanced around hurriedly, confused.

"Huh? Wh- Tonks?" She squeaked, looking between Remus and her best friend, cheeks becoming a rosy shade of pink in seconds.

"Did you two," Tonks hesitated, biting back a grin, "do it?"

"TONKS!" He and Evangeline shouted in unison, scooting a few inches away from each other.

"My bad, sorry," she grinned, very much not sorry, "anyway, there's an Order meeting in ten minutes, one you," she jabbed a finger out to Evangeline, "are especially needed in."

With a wink at the embarrassed brunette, Tonks pulled the door shut with a loud click.

Looking over to her, Evangeline had her head in her hands, but through her curtain of messy hair, Remus saw the corners of her mouth tilted upwards.

Deciding to break the silence, he stood, suddenly aware of his lack of clothes, only dressed in a pair of sleep pants that hung loosely on his hips, "um, thank you for staying with me for the full moon."

Lifting her head up, she flashed him a bright but tired smile, "no problem."

"Sorry you had to sleep on the floor, I don't reckon it was too comfortable," he watched as she stretched her arms above her head.

"Nonsense, sleeping on the floor isn't all that bad," she said with a wince as she popped her neck.

"Right, I'm sure," he chuckled, helping her up with an extended hand.

Evangeline was dressed in the same Beatles shirt she wore that night in the kitchen and a pair of baggy sweatpants.

She reached far into the extendable pouch she carried, pulling out a potion, the same as last night.