Chapter 33 - Ukiyo

Ukiyo (n.) living in the moment, detached from the bothers of life.

"Fleur, good morning-"

"English!"

Evangeline rolled her eyes playfully and dropped down onto the sofa beside her cousin. Ever since she got back to France, Fleur insisted on her speaking to her in only English, something Evangeline chalked up to her internship at Gringotts back in London.

"My bad," she chuckled, "good morning."

"Good morning," Fleur chirped.

The past few days, Fleur had been in a brighter mood than normal. She would hum to herself, offer to clean up after every meal, and overall was incredibly happy with life.

"So, why exactly is it that you're so happy?" Evangeline mused, eyeing the blonde with curiosity.

"What do you mean? I'm always happy," Fleur kept her eyes focused on her hands in her lap, a small smile tugging at her lips.

Evangeline shrugged. She supposed that was true, Fleur was known for being insanely positive and happy, so she dropped the subject. If there was a reason behind her added happiness, she'd find out sooner or later. For now, she needed someone to talk to about the issue of Florian.

That had been about two weeks ago and she couldn't get it out of her head. She knew that neither her nor him had done anything wrong, but she felt guilty beyond belief about the kiss. Ever since it had happened, she kept thinking about Remus. While she hadn't thought of him prior to the kiss, she was thinking about him a great deal these days.

"What's on your mind?"

Glancing up, Evangeline chuckled nervously. She hadn't told anyone about it and hadn't talked to Florian either. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course," Fleur smiled, pushing a strand if her hair from her face and sitting back.

"About two weeks ago, Florian- wait, you remember him, right?"

She nodded and raised a brow in question.

"Well, when I went down to the river that day, he was there. We hung out and talked for a few hours and I had a really good time, but as the sun was setting and we got out of the water, he kissed me," Evangeline sighed, dropping her head into her hands. She really hated saying it aloud.

"Oh my! He did?" Fleur gasped.

Evangeline nodded with a groan, "yeah, he did."

"You seem sad about it, why? Last I remember, you fancied Florian."

Evangeline shook her head, "last time I fancied him was when I was fifteen," she paused, "no, I did not like the kiss. Not at all."

"Why?"

"Well- I-" Evangeline sat up and stared down at her glass of lemonade, "there's-"

"The one who sends you letters every night, yes? He's why you didn't like the kiss?"

Evangeline sighed. Fleur was incredibly observant, more than she gave herself credit for. "Yes. Remus is why."