Chapter 6 - Saudade

saudade - (n.) a nostalgic longing to be near something or someone that is distant, or that has been loved and then lost; "the love that remains"

E V A N G E L I N E

It was the next morning and Evangeline woke up with an extra pep in her step, a smile etched onto her lips that refused to fade.

She woke up early, something she only did on days like the current one, and pulled back the curtains, letting the morning sun stream in and brighten the dark room. Despite her best efforts, the room was still impossibly depressing.

She dressed in a red and white plaid skirt, a plain, crimson red turtleneck, the denim jacket Sirius gave her, her heart patterned tights, and a pair of black Mary-Janes. She then pulled her hair into a half up, half down style, tying it with a puffy red scrunchy.

Finally, she grabbed a worn photo book that Lillian had sent over the week prior and carefully tucked it inside her leather bag that she then slipped onto her in injured shoulder.

Closing the door behind her, she hurried down the stairs, passing by the portrait of Walburga Black that threw insult after insult her as she rushed past, reminding her of her heritage, something she'd be more than pleased to forget.

Shaking her head, she pushed the woman cursing out her mind and strolled into the kitchen, greeting everyone as she plopped down on the seat in-between Tonks and Ron. As she sat, she sent a bright smile to Remus who nodded in return, sipping on a mug of mint tea, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"Morning, Dora," Evangeline placed a kiss to her friends cheek.

"Good morning to you too, whats got you so chipper?" Tonks inquired, biting down on a piece of toast with strawberry jam.

"Can't I just be in a good mood?" Evangeline hummed back, pouring herself a glass of apple juice.

"I suppose you can, but you only call me Dora when you're in a really good mood, so, out with it."

Evangeline let out a sigh, setting down the pitcher of juice, "I'm going to visit my mum."

"Not alone you're not," Tonks immediately snapped, shaking her head sternly.

"And why can't I? I never bring anyone with me," she grumbled, spooning some peach yogurt into her mouth.

"Because, you were a) attacked by Death Eaters yesterday and b) you're injured," she rose a brow in a challenging way, "you're not going alone."

"Fine," Evangeline huffed, pouting her lip as she eyed her best friend, "then who do you propose goes with me? You?"

Out of the corner of her, she noticed Bill, seated between Arthur and Fred, open his mouth, only for Tonks to speak again, cutting him off.

"No, no, I've got Order stuff today, nothing dangerous, just something with Moody," she explained, her eyes scanning the table, briefly hesitating on Bill before landing on a certain sandy haired wizard, "Remus!" She called out.

Remus looked over, pausing his conversation with Sirius, his eyes flickering between her and Tonks. "Yes?"

"Evangeline is heading to visit her mum, could you go with her? It's not safe for her to be traveling alone."

Bill opened his mouth again, only to be cut off a second time, this time by Remus, "yeah, of course," he looked to Evangeline, "let me know when."

She nodded quickly, biting back the small, giddy smile that tried to tug at her lips. She didn't know why, but him being the one to take her sent her stomach into somersaults.