Chapter 21 - Dysphoria

Dysphoria - (n.) an unwell feeling.

E V A N G E L I N E

Mass Breakout From Azkaban.

"We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped," said Fudge last night. "Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggests outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached."

Evangeline had been in the kitchen making her and Remus breakfast when the days Daily Prophet arrived. Her morning had been going just as well as any other had been since she and Remus began dating. She woke up to his arms wrapped around her waist and his face nuzzled into the crook of her neck. After she'd managed to pull from his grasp, she left him to get some extra sleep and went to make the both of them eggs and toast.

But, the blissful mood she had been in and her plan to bring him breakfast in bed was foiled by the Daily Prophet.

Bellatrix Lestrange had escaped from Azkaban and was at large.

Making sure the stove was off, Evangeline took off. She summoned her shoes, a pair of white tennis-shoes, and barreled out the door of Twelve Grimmauld Place. Her mind was on one thing; her mother. Her mother who was left unprotected at St. Mungos.  Her mind was racing as she pulled her wand out, now stood on the side walk outside headquarters. What if she came back for her mother? And what Neville and his parents?

Seconds later, she was just outside the doors of St. Mungos. Pushing open the doors and running past Healers and patients alike, she bound up the two flights of stairs to her mothers room. Her heart was running a thousand miles an hour, beating so loudly she could hear it in her ears.

No one questioned her as she ran into the room, sliding the door shut behind her, many knowing what had happened to Odette Love, as well as why Evangeline was in such a hurry, most everyone having had read the Daily Prophet that morning.

Evangeline let out a relieved, although still panicked, sigh. Not wanting to startle her mother- she wasn't actually sure she could- she shifted into Goldie before stalking over t0 her mothers bed. Still asleep, she made sure not to wake her as she crept up onto the bed, laying down at her feet, eyes locked on the door. She was ready to pounce at a moments notice and defend her if need be.

Growing up, she was always secretly terrified of this exact thing happening, making it a point to read the news every morning before classes. She'd stopped years ago, convinced herself it was just a childish fear, but that fear had come true and Evangeline wasn't sure how to handle it. Normally, she would talk to her father about anything related to her mother, but seeing as they weren't on speaking terms, she didn't bother.

Evangeline planned on trying to smooth things over with him eventually, but she wasn't going to do it until he apologized first and stopped listening to the babbles of the Ministry.

As she lie there, eyes focused and ears trained, she kept remembering the crazed look of the screaming Bellatrix Lestrange, her dark eyes vaguely familiar, though Evangeline chalked it up to having memorized her face when she was younger.

When she had left headquarters, it was barley nine in the morning, so for the next three or so hours, she lie at the foot her mothers bed, ready to jump up and protect her.

It was nearly noon when she heard movement outside the closed door. She doubted that Bellatrix's first stop out from fourteen years in Azkaban was to come to St. Mungos early in day to finish off her mother, but she certainly wasn't going to risk it. Leaping soundlessly off the bed, careful not to wake her still sleeping mother, she crept closer to the door, lips raised in a low snarl.

Her heart had resumed its hammering rhythm, ready to strike the moment the door opened. Sure, she would be better with her wand, but being in the form of a golden retriever wouldn't be expected and would give Evangeline an edge.

The door began to slide open, the shadow of a tall silhouette reflected on the white floors of the hospital. As a leather shoe clad foot stepped in, she pounced, latching her jaw onto the calve and biting hard.

A shout came from the man, followed by a pained plea, "love, let go, its me."

Flicking her gaze up, she promptly let go of Remus's leg, dropping down into a sitting position. Remus glanced over to her mother before kneeling down in front of her, jaw clenched in pain from the bite.

Without a second word said between them, Evangeline shifted back into her human form and fell into his arms, burying her face in his shoulder, tears brimming in her eyes. Remus fell back, sitting down and pulling her into his arms, running his hands soothingly through her hair. He'd never seen her so upset, her soft sobs filling the room. She tried to be quiet, not wanting to wake her mother, but she was utterly overcome with fear and despair.

"Evangeline," Remus began, his words gentle and slow as his hand rubbed soothing circles on her back, "you need to start depending on me, alright? I woke up and you were gone. The only reason I found you was because I saw the paper left on the table and assumed you came here," he paused, taking a moment to think of his words, "I'm your boyfriend, you can depend on me and come to me when you're upset. You need to start slowing down and thinking a little. What if you had gotten hurt? Bellatrix, as well as almost a dozen Death Eaters, are at large, Evangeline."

She nodded against his shoulder, tears staining the fabric of his coat, "I know," she mumbled, "I just got really scared, I don't want her to get hurt again."

"I know, I know," he sighed, leaning his head against hers, "but she won't. Bellatrix likely has bigger things to worry about, I assure you."

Evangeline knew he was right, knew Bellatrix wouldn't be a threat to her mother, but that didn't stop the anxiety that brewed in her mind. "It's not fair. It's not fair that my mother, a woman who never did any bad and only wanted to help people, was tortured so much she can't even remember her own name."

Remus stayed silent as Evangeline continued talking, ranting about how unfair life treated her mother. She had only been thirty-three when it happened, when she was taken away, left only as a husk of what she used to be.

It was about an hour later when Remus pulled her to her feet, supporting her weight, the sobbing have exhausted her. "Let's get you home okay? We'll make sure the staff keep an eye on her-"

"And-"

"And Alice and Frank," he assured, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and leading her from the room.

Remus kept her close as he spoke t0 the staff, explaining the situation and requesting they keep extra watch on the three. After they agreed, Remus brought her back home, took her to bed, and made her hot cocoa. For the rest of the day, he spent it in bed with her, reading Pride & Prejudice and keeping her distracted. She fell asleep later that night to his voice, a voice she could listen to for the rest of her life happily. Instead of seeing the face of Bellatrix in her mind as she slept, she had a pleasant dream of her and Remus living in a cottage in a forest, a dream she wished to one day be a reality.