chap 14

ANNABELLE WILCOX
Anne's House - The Cemetery

   The ride to Harry's mothers house was short and he tapped away on his phone in deep concentration. Something was off about him today, and even with the other boys this morning. They were very good at hiding but as I always say—Criminal Minds prepared me for seeing things like this.

Harry's leg bounced just as it did whenever he was angry or frustrated—I saw it just last night. Louis was sentimental with me just as he was whenever he was stressed or frustrated. Niall snapped his fingers, which was honestly just something new that I'm taking as a sign. And lastly, Cooper didn't call me teacup—he always calls me teacup now.

Harry was also shielding his phone away from me at the same time as if I was going to crash the car just so I could get a peek at his text messages. He already promised to tell me anything I needed to know—oddly, I was putting my trust in him.

God, what the fuck is going on with me?

I don't put my trust into people this easily, not after the trauma I've been thrown into. I don't like handing my pain to people and I don't like leaving myself open to receiving pain from others. Who knows how this could end?

I sure as hell didn't see trusting Beatrice ending so badly. I wonder if she really knew what Jacob did to me because before I told her, she was the new person she's become, but after she seemed to be herself again for a mere moment.

Was that on purpose? Has everyone been lying to me? Is everyone lying to me? ...I'm being far too paranoid.

Harry interrupted my thoughts, "There's going to be an empty parking spot in front of her house—you know how to parallel park." He stated, more than questioned just as he always did when he wasn't feeling sincere.

"Mhm." I replied, looking between my phones GPS and the real world to try and find the house number attached to his mother. "What's your mothers name?"

"Not that you need to know," he just had to add, "but Anne. Anne Twist."

"Twist?" I questioned, spotting her house and being able to parallel park with Harry's door closest to her front door. "I thought your last name was Styles."

"It is. She's remarried." He waved his hand at me, dismissing the conversation, "Stop asking me questions."

As soon as I fully parked the car, the bright red front door to the small white home opened and a middle-aged woman stepped out. She resembled Harry with her slightly-wavy dark brown hair, matched with blue eyes to contrast his green with a smile to kill.

God, this looks the sweetest woman to grace the planet. How the fuck did she make a killer?

Harry shook his head, groaning but the soft smile that appeared when he saw her wouldn't leave. He pushed open the door, trying to stop her from coming closer, "I told you not to come out, mum. I wanted to bring it in."

"No," the door remained open since Anne pulled Harry into a tight hug and halted his movements, "you just didn't want me to meet your friend."

She pulled away, squeezing his face, "Look at you! You're getting so big and old now—come visit your poor mother more, please."