chap 02

ANNABELLE WILCOX
Louis' House

I laid flat down on the bed for a moment, the early morning sun peeking through the curtains and shining brightly onto the bedspread. My eyes were cast onto the dark blue ceiling of one of Louis' many guest rooms, right now I was thankful for the room even though I had hated the fact he had so many for so long.

Louis was a sweetheart to me, but I knew he wasn't to anyone else. I didn't know how staying here would go for me because Louis was a shady guy, and he told me he helped to run a shady business.

He never told me what the business was, but I confronted him relentlessly enough for him to at least tell me there is a business in the first place. He even explained where he goes, in very little detail.

The night feels like ages and ages ago, but it couldn't have been more than a couple months ago. It seems so much has changed for me though that it feels like almost an eternity of time has passed.

"Come on," I begged with a bottle of water in my hands, contrasting the cold beer in Louis' as he sat on the other end of his couch, "just tell me! I promise I won't tell."

He rolls his eyes, shaking his head as he sips the beer again. "No. There's no reason for you to even get involved. I don't know why you want to know."

"Because." I groan, throwing my head back in frustration. "All these constant disappearances and shady shit you do confuses the fuck out of me! I'm your best friend, you're obligated to tell me."

Louis narrowed his eyes at me, his eyebrows furrowing, "Best friend? Hm, not sure I'd go as far as to say that."

My head whipped back up, my mouth dropping open as he let out a loud laugh at the reaction. A small laugh of offense left my own lips, a tsk sounding afterwards.

"Wow. I see how it is.. I see how it is. That hurts. Low blow." I crossed my arms over my chest, looking away with a shake of my head in disappointment.

Now he was the one to groan. "Oh, come on! You know I'm joking. I'm drunk - I don't know half the shit I'm saying."

I wasn't really upset, it was obvious his words were a joke but if I feigned offense then it would be easier to find out the source of all this shady shit. He would feel bad and crack under the pressure.

"Drunk words are sober thoughts." I sighed, standing up from the couch and realizing I really should be a damn actor, "I'm just gonna head home."

"Aw come on now, Anna!" He reached out for my hand, just missing it when I pulled it away without a second glance in his direction.

God, I'm a good fucking actor. I can tell he's about to crack and I'm happy that he can't see the small smile that creeps onto my face.

I'm really too nosy. I should work on that.

Louis sighed as I reached for my belongings, "Wait. Come sit back down."

"There's no reason for me too, you don't want me here." I shut my eyes, holding in my laugh as best as I could.

"I'll tell you what you want to know if you just sit down." I couldn't sense a lie in his words so I turned around, smirking lightly as I sat back down.