chap 35

ANNABELLE WILCOX
Louis' New Home

      Devon and I were sitting inside my kitchen, both dressed up in tight, revealing outfits. My parents were out of town which meant it was the perfect time for a party, something they'd never find out about.

Also something I hoped Derek wouldn't find out about. He didn't very much approve of me going to these things and he definitely wouldn't approve of this outfit.

I reached for a glass out of the cabinet, feeling my dress ride up as I did so.

"Gosh," Devon exclaimed, "All the boys are gonna be all over you tonight."

I shook my head, laughing, "I think they'll be too caught up with you and Bee to even think about me."

"Oh don't even start," I could hear her eye roll as I filled my glass with chocolate milk, "we all know they think you're the hottest girl in the grade. There was a vote on it."

I spun around, facing her with a confused look on my face. Vote or not, I didn't believe it. Just looking at Devon reassured me why I didn't believe it. She was stunning, her brown hair curled to perfection with face framing pieces I longed to have.

Her eyes were a dark green and she always wore this red lipstick that matched them perfectly. In school, she was always dressed up. There was never a day she wore sweatpants, or even leggings, and she looked gorgeous without even trying.

I saw Beatrice the same way: unattainably gorgeous. That's how I saw the both of them. That's just how they both were and how they always would be to me.

I opened my mouth to counter her words, but the sound of the door opening stopped me.

Please don't be Derek. Please don't be Derek.

Devon spun around immediately, able to see them easier than I could. The look of happiness on her face let me know it wasn't Derek. She stood up, fixing her skirt and almost posing as the footsteps neared us.

I didn't move, still nervous. That was, until I saw him—Eli. He was wearing a green hoodie with the hood up over his head, glasses on his nose that hid most of his face, and a pair of white sweatpants.

He'd taken his shoes off, respectfully. And his eyes went straight to me, going up and down about three times. My cheeks turned red, but I had to remind myself: this is Derek's best friend.

"Eli," I was finally able to speak, "what are you doing here?"

"I was looking for Derek," his eyes looked like they were plastered on me and Devon sat down with a sigh. "Where are you guys going?"

"A party." Devon replied, causing me to nod my head. "I'm surprised you're not coming too, I know you were invited."

Eli finally looked at her, not wanting to be rude, but it wasn't in the same way. "That's not my thing." He looked back at me, "Is Derek here?"

"No, he said he had to go do something. I think he'll be gone all night." I shrugged, "I didn't ask any questions. I didn't want him to see us like this."