2nd Saving

Clementine

"Why do you think that the ghost killed him?" Meg asked, slipping on her boots. Joseph's body was discovered last night and it had caused a ton of gossip. I was currently styling my hair, tying it back into a long ponytail that reached past my lower back.

"What makes you so sure that the ghost did it? It could have been an accident or even one of the many staff members who hate him." Meg bounced over to me, taking a seat next to me at the large vanity. It was made to be large so multiple girls could use it at one time.

"Well, because there was obviously a struggle. I heard there was a broken beer bottle at the scene. He probably used it for protection." She would never know that I was the one who had used it for protection. "Then there was also a rope around his neck and his eyes were wide open! So it couldn't have been an accident" Her voice was more filled with excitement and thrill. I didn't think anyone would really miss him or even feel sorry that he had died.

"But if the Opera ghost wanted to kill, don't you think he would have made it a bit more dramatic? I mean... if it was him, he didn't do anything to draw attention to the body. He just left it there." I turned in my seat grabbing my own shoes, putting them on quickly.

"Very true. I guess that it'll just be a mystery until investigators can get a lead." Meg shrugged and pulled me up with her.

"Ready to go to the shops?" I asked, grabbing my bag before we walked out the door. She nodded and practically dragged me along. She was so excited. Christine had declined our offer to join us, she instead was spending the day with Raoul. They had been going on many dates and seeing each other every day. It seemed that she wasn't making time for us anymore.

I completely understood. She was in love. She had told me she was in love. Raoul and her had even talked about marriage and a wedding. 

"When do you think Christine will be free again? I miss having her around. Especially since she's going to be sleeping in the Prima Donna dressing room again." she asked as we walked along the streets of Paris, looking at all the different booths.

"Well, we have the next few days off because a new play has to be chosen, so perhaps she would like to spend time with us tomorrow? I bet she's having dinner with Raoul tonight again."

"Ugh! Clem, it's not that I'm not happy for her, it's just... It feels like she is choosing him over us every time! I miss our best friend."

"I miss her too, but we are still each other's best friends, we can stick together until Christine is out of her honeymoon phase." I laughed and stopped to look at a jewelry booth.

I looked through the necklaces and earrings, rings and bracelets, but nothing caught my eye. I turned to Meg and she held up a silver necklace with a blue gem stone hanging from it.

"Isn't this lovely, Clem?" She put it to her neck. It brought out the beautiful blue in her eyes.

"Yes, yes it is." I took out some money from my bag and handed it to the man running the booth. "Will this cover it?" He nodded and handed Meg a little velvet bag to put it it.

"Clem! You didn't have to do that. I could've bought it for myself!"

"Meg, you spent most of your salary on the dress you bought last week, you wouldn't have been able to afford it. I, on the other hand, happened to have some spare cash." I smiled at her, winking.

"Well, thank you Clem. I promise I'll pay you back."

"Don't worry about it. You owe me nothing."

We walked around and window shopped for quite some time. It was almost sunset when we returned to the opera house. Meg left to get in some extra practice and I went to the kitchen to get something to eat. I stole a few pieces of bread, a wedge of cheese, a bunch of grapes and a half empty bottle of wine. No one would need it, it had just been sitting on the counter unused for two weeks. I then went up to the rooftop to eat.