Soren

Clementine

It had been a couple days since Christine's last performance. She was now talking with Raoul about moving in with him into the De Chagny mansion. Meg and I were very happy for her, but at the same time we didn't want to lose our best friend.

Christine reassured us that we could visit her and she would come to see us perform from time to time, but it didn't seem like enough. It was like she was leaving us behind. Raoul had even come to speak with me about proposing to Christine. He was buying a engagement ring and wanted my opinion on what Christine would like best.

I couldn't stop thinking about Christine and and how she was going to be happily married. No doubt after Raoul proposed they would both want to get married as soon as possible. It also didn't help when I knew I would never feel that happiness. The only man I had even considered a romantic interest would be Erik, and I knew that would never happen.

Not only because he was still in love with Christine, Even though she had broken his heart and told me that she hated his very being, But also because it just wasn't practical! He lived underneath The Opera House, he would never be able to show his face, I doubt he could even get legally married to someone.

Well, all that combined plus the fact he would never want to be with me. We were friends and he was my teacher. Although some moments I swore that I felt something different towards him other then friendship, I knew that it was just my mind playing tricks on me. 

I was two years older then Christine, yet I was the single and lonely one. Everyone is different, yes, but why could I never find a suitor? I wasn't so terribly ugly. The only part of me that I would consider ugly would be my hair, but I don't think that is what Men factor into the equation.

It was evening now, the sun must be setting rather soon. Erik had asked me to meet him on the rooftop so we could do our lessons. I had come to enjoy them very much. Being able to spend time with Erik while also doing my favorite thing ever? It was not a terrible deal at all.

As I was making my way to the steps that lead up to the rooftop I heard someone address me fairly formally. It wasn't in the ordinary to be called by my surname around the opera house. Unless of course the managers or someone of a higher position were addressing me. Other than that I just went as Clem or Clementine to most everyone. well, everyone that knew my name.

"Ms. Emory," I turned around to find a young man standing before me. He had dirty blonde hair and was wearing the latest fashion for men in Paris. He had green eyes like mine and the way he held himself you would have guessed he were a prince. Using 'Ms.' instead of 'Mademoiselle' was also strange. 

"Yes?" I questioned, straightening my posture and raking my mind, trying to remember if I had ever met the man in front of me. He did seem oddly familiar. "I'm sorry, do I know you Monsieur?"

"Oh, of course, I apologize. It is very likely you've forgotten about me, seeing as It's been years already." My heart sped up and I felt my throat choke up. What did he mean? Where did I know him from?

"I'm afraid I don't see where you're coming from Monsieur. I don't recall ever meeting you before in my life." I nodded to him and turned away to leave.

"Now, Clem. Don't act that way." I stopped. So he did know my first name, and he was so bold as to even use my nickname! "It's certainly no way to treat your big brother." I whipped myself back around instantly and met his eyes. I searched them for just a second before I concluded he was not in fact lying. I felt my eyes water before lunging onto him, embracing him in a tight hug.

"Soren!" I exclaimed. "How did you find me, why are you here? Why did you come?" I let go of him and stepped back, looking over my older brother, examining how he had changed.