Sleep

Clementine

My mind went black as his lips met mine. Was this actually happening? I felt his hand that was wrapped around my back pull me closer to him while his other hand rested on my neck gently.

I closed my eyes and submitted to my desires. My hands traveled up to his neck and pulled him deeper into the kiss, my lips moving in sync with his. It was like nothing I had ever felt before, the most perfect kiss that could never be described in mere words.

My heart thumped in my chest and my mind finally comprehended what was happening. I was kissing the Phantom of the Opera! I was kissing a man I had only met 2 months ago and I had only ever referred to as a friend!

I was kissing a man who was in love with my best friend! If not in love anymore, then still heartbroken over her. His feelings were not in order. He was not in love with me. I was not Christine.

I quickly pulled back, pushing him away. I put my hand to my mouth and tried to comprehend what I just did. He had just kissed me, and I had kissed him back. I didn't hate it, I actually quite enjoyed it. It was an amazing kiss.

There was no way I was in love with him, was there? I mean, I had felt the need to kiss him before this; and sometimes my heart felt a certain way when I was near him or when he did certain things, but that didn't mean I loved him!

Then again, how would I know? I had never been in love. The closest I had ever come to love was Phillip, and he was merely a childhood sweetheart  and ex fiancé who tried to buy my hand in marriage!

There was a possibility I was in love with Erik... Or perhaps, falling in love with him? Yes, that was a much better term. I wasn't in love with him, I was just falling for him. And my God, if he kept acting like this it would be hard not to fall completely for him.

I turned around so my back was facing him. He was no longer close like we were moments before. I didn't want him to see my face for I knew it was bright red now. What had I done?

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that." Erik said. I placed a hand on my chest and took a few deep breaths. That really happened.

"Erik..." Was all I could manage to say. What words were there to say? Millions of words and yet no combination of them could express what I felt.

That kiss... It seemingly came out of nowhere and yet, at the same time it felt as if my whole life had been leading up to that moment. It was like every encounter with Erik had just been a stepping stone to that kiss.

He was the one who had kissed me. Why me? Wasn't he still infatuated with Christine? Even if he had started to move on and get rid of things of hers, I doubt he would be fully healed from the hurt she caused him anytime soon.

If I was with him now, I would simply be a rebound. Someone he used to get over his feelings for Christine. I felt things for Erik. Things I had never experienced before. But what if being with him now ruined any real future we might have together. No matter how small the chance of that future might be.

I wouldn't let that happen. For now he would have to stay as a friend. We couldn't go further than friendship. At least for now. The thought of losing him was too terrifying.

"I'm sorry, Erik." I said softly, turning back around to face him. He was standing there with his hand brought up to his lips in disbelief. Like the fact I had returned his kiss was unbelievable.

"No, I am the one who's sorry." He said, removing his hand off his lips and running it through his hair instead. "I should have considered your feelings and acted upon that, but instead I acted in the moment and now I've made you uncomfortable."