Phillip

Clementine

"Clementine, Are you ready?" I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath in before answering. They had given me a clean dress to change into and I was able to wash my hair before the ship reached the dock. They wanted me to look presentable for my future Husband.

Future Husband. 

The man I would spend the rest of my days with, whether I loved him or not. I once believed getting married meant true happiness, a fairy tale end, or... a beginning. Yes, A beginning of a new life. A happy life.

This was indeed a new life, but not a happy one in the slightest. 

Husband.

It was funny. Not two days ago I had imagined another man becoming my Husband. I would have never imagined all of this to happen. And there was nothing I could do about it until Melany could get Erik the note and he would come save me. 

I knew he would come.

Melany would get him my note, and he would come. I had told him where I would be, I told him what had happened, and I told him I loved him. He had to come, otherwise I had no hope. I would be damned to a life that I would never truly be able to live in.

"Clementine?" Declan called through the door after I hadn't answered him the first time.

"Just a moment, please." I slipped on the heels I had worn the night of the masquerade and opened the door. Declan stared at me, looking me up and down before shaking his head.

"Clementine, would it hurt to at least try to look your best?" I frowned.

"It's not like you gave me much in there. No makeup, no brush, no hair ribbons, and not even a full bath! I was only allowed to wash my hair. And you expect me to look my best?" He rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I was kidnaped, you expect me to have all of my cosmetics on me?"

"Melany!" He called, Melany appearing not to seconds later.

"Yes?"

"Make Clementine presentable for meeting her Fiancé please. If you wouldn't mind, Darling." She simply nodded, taking my hand and leading me back into the small room.

"I'm sorry about him, Clementine. He's just been a little bit... Off, recently." She sat me down on the edge of the bed and started to run her fingers through my hair, taking the larger knots out.

"He's changed so much since we were kids." I said quietly.

"Oh really? How so?" She started braiding and pinning pieces of my hair back and out of my face.

"Well, he was very friendly and kind. He stood up for me and treated me like his equal. To him I wasn't just a girl, I was his friend. Nothing could break us apart." 

"He does indeed sound very different from how you just described him." She laughed. "he's much more... business now. Doesn't have much time for anyone. He's always trying to provide for me. In fact, he won't set a date for our wedding until he knows he can support me and a family." As she was lifting my hair to put it into a bun, I reached my hand up and stopped her. I could tell she had already seen them though. The scars.

"I'd prefer to keep it down, actually." She nodded and smiled. She reminded me of Meg, So much it was like they could be sisters.

"How did you get them?" The question hung in the air. "I'm sorry, that was too personal. We've only just met, I understand if you don't want to share."

"My father." I stated quickly. "He wasn't the fondest of me. I wasn't a boy."

"Oh." She paused a moment before hugging me. "I'm so sorry." It was so strange. I hardly knew this woman, but I trusted her completely. I would gladly call her my sister in law, it was my brother who was the problem.