Masquerade (Part 2)

Clementine

When I got back to the party, I noticed everything had calmed down and gotten back to normal for the most part. Andre and Firmin must have said something to make everyone relax. I took a few deep breaths, trying to forget about the fight I had with Christine. 

I looked around the room, not sure of where to go or what to do. Meg wasn't in sight and Christine definitely wasn't the person I should go right now. I didn't see anyone I recognized and I felt like I couldn't breath. 

I didn't think I would be dragged into the spotlight like that. I didn't think my name was going to be mentioned at all, but I guess Erik had much different plans. I wasn't going to lie, it frustrated me that he mentioned me by name in that moment. He should have at least warned me.

I decided the drink table would be the safest bet. I could stand there and drink all night. I wouldn't have to dance, and I could forget everything after a couple drinks. It sounded like a good plan to me. I could even try and go find Meg later when I wasn't so cross at Christine and I got my feelings in line.

I made up my mind and started on my way to the table full of glasses and bottles of expensive wines and champagnes. I had almost reached the table when my dress decided to betray me, making me trip on its hem. I let out a small shriek as I fell. 

I braced myself for impact, holding my hands out to try and break my fall, but it wasn't needed. I felt two hands grab my waist, catching me from landing right on my face. I knew that they had to belong to a man, I could tell from the size, and the strength they had.

The man straightened me back up, helping me find my footing again. This is why I didn't enjoy wearing heels. They were uncomfortable, and impossible to walk in!

"Thank you Monsieur, I apologize for inconveniencing you.

"It's really no problem at all." I hear him say in a thick British accent. I looked up to see a tall man not surprisingly, wearing a mask. This one was a black mask full face mask with red details, it covered all but his jaw and mouth. The mask matched perfectly with his black suit which seem to be made very well. It had red accents including a red flower sitting in the lapel of his jacket. A boutonnière.

"I was just on my way to get a drink, pardon me." I excused myself, pushing passed him continuing on to the drink table and proceeding to pour myself a glass of red wine.

"Red wine, a most agreeable drink." He had followed me.

"I do think so." I started to drink it quickly, downing the glass in a few seconds.

"Would you care to dance?"

"I'm drinking for the moment." I refilled the glass, this time taking small sips.

"But it's much more fun to dance."

"I completely agree, but you see, I much prefer ballet." I continued drinking until my glass was completely empty. I reached out for the bottle so I could refill it, but the man's hand stopped me.

"One dance, please." I shook my head, grabbing for the bottle again but he held it up above his head so I couldn't reach. "I'll pay you for it."

"Good sir, I am not a prostitute!"

"I'm not asking for anything more than a dance." I thought it over before answering.

"How much?"

"Depends on how well you dance." I furrowed my eyebrows in thought. "What do you say?" He bowed slightly and held out his hand.

I reluctantly placed my hand in his, smiling awkwardly. I was not going to give up a free opportunity to get money so easily. And besides, I was a splendid dancer.