The Lake

Phantom

The way she prepared herself to sing was very professional. I could tell she was not lying about having done this before.

"I will begin to play a scale," I said as I played a mini scale to demonstrate. "You will copy the note as far high as you can go. This is so that I know your voice range." She nodded and I started playing.

She sang clear and beautifully, never faltering and not one voice crack. I got to the high C and she hit the note perfectly. Christine was still working on perfecting the high C and yet here was this girl hitting it without even trying.

I played a few simple songs to hear her sing and to help me analyze her voice better.

She sang whatever I played, not going against anything I said. If I told her to go down an octave she did so without hesitation. If I needed her to deepen her voice she would do it even though I knew it was not what she was used to. She was a soprano, not a alto. But she could defiantly sing in place of an alto. 

"So...?" She asked after we had finished our lesson around an hour later.

"You were excellent. There are some things I'd like to work on to enhance your voice and to help you with confidence though. You are rather shy when singing for me."

"Well, you are the Phantom of the Opera. I'm bound to be a little nervous." She laughed. "That and I am slightly out of practice."

"What I notice you lack is power in your voice. You sing gracefully and very nicely, but you want to add more strength in your voice when you sing."

I stood and walked over to the fireplace, throwing another log into the flames. The girl, Clementine, walked over and sat on the couch I had provided for Madame Giry and sometimes even the occasional visit from Nadir. 

"What is your name?" I heard her say curiously. She had asked me this same question not long ago.

"What did I tell you last time you asked that?"

"Well, I just thought that now that you are teaching me music, I should call you something other than 'Phantom.' Come on! It's only fair. you know my name."

"You can call me 'Teacher' if you prefer it over Phantom."

"No, I'd rather call you by your real name! What is it?"

"Hmm... I must've forgotten."

"You haven't forgotten at all."

"Oh, but I haven't heard my name in many years. You really expect me to remember?"

"That long?" She asked in awe.

"Yes." I wanted this conversation to be over with.

"Please tell me your name?" She stood up and tried to persuade me by tugging at my sleeve. It might have worked. 

"If I tell you will you be quiet?" she nodded quickly, getting sitting back in her seat.

"My name is..."

"Yes. your name is...?" I thought for a few moments. What was the worst that could happen?

"Erik."

"Erik..." she repeated, closing her eyes, she smiled slightly.

"Erik Destler." Her small smile widened as I said my full name for the first time in years.

"Erik Destler." She repeated what I had just said. "Erik." Her smile turned into laughter.

"What is it?" I was offended. Did she find my name funny? I haven't even told Madame Giry about my name and the first person I tell laughs at me? "You're laughing at me."