Declan

Clementine

Everyone was busy and bustling around getting ready for Christmas. The whole Opera House was decorated in red and gold and a giant tree stood next to the grand staircase. Everything about the season made my heart leap with joy. Christmas was mere days away and I had gathered presents for everyone. Everyone except Erik.

I wanted what I got him to be something he would love and actually appreciate. From what I knew of him I guessed that he would be all alone on Christmas, so my gift had to be special. I had already searched countless stores trying to find anything that caught my eye, but nothing ever seemed good enough.

As I walked into yet another crowded shop full of last minute shoppers I saw someone I hadn't seen in years. Unlike Soren who had changed so drastically I hardly recognized him, Declan hadn't changed a bit. Of course he looked older, and his stubble was now a short beard, but his appearance was unmistakable.

He had a full head of deep brown hair and his eyes were the purest most comforting blue. He stood next to a beautiful lady who I assumed to be his fiancé. So they hadn't left Paris yet after all.

A part of me wanted to run up to him and embrace him in the deepest most heartfelt hug that could somehow fix everything, but no. He wouldn't want me back as a sister. He wanted me back as property, something he could sell to that duke. If he saw me, I would go back to being a stupid object.

Not to mention, he hated me. He loathed my existence. He told me himself that he wished I was never born. Why did I have to see him now.

I willed myself to turn and leave, leave before he could see me, but I wanted to gaze upon my brother for a minute more, if not then just a moment. My brother stood there at the counter, purchasing something while the girl was admiring a small piece of jewelry from behind the glass.

Every part inside me told me to go, get out of the store. Get away from him. I may remember all the times in which he was a loving older brother, but what he told me that night, that changed everything. 

Despite all of my thoughts and logic, despite common sense and all reasoning, I stepped closer to him. He still didn't notice me even though I was mere feet away from him. If I reached out and walked the smallest bit forward, I would be able to touch him.

My body seemed to ignore my brain when I tried to tell it to turn around. I willed my feet to move away but I froze completely. There seemed to be complete silence, or perhaps I had just blocked out all sound.

I watched him as he nodded to the store Clark and turned to face me, seeing me for the first time in what felt like a lifetime.

"Declan-" I started, still trying to move. To run. To walk away. Anything that would get me out of here. I needed to leave.

"Clementine, It can't be you, can it?" His eyes were wide and he nearly dropped his shopping bag. He reached out to touch me, but I suddenly regained movement and ran. I ran out of the store, pushing past several unsuspecting passersby until I bumped into someone.

My eyes were foggy with tears that I didn't realize I was holding back. I wasn't about to let them fall now. I did my best to appear calm and collected. As far as I knew, Declan was not following after me, so I was good.

"Mademoiselle, are you alright?" Two strong hands grabbed my shoulders to steady me. I looked up at the man who caught my fall and my face reddened immediately. It was the barista from last month. The one who served me and Soren our coffee the last time I saw him.

"You're that Coffee shop worker, aren't you?" I said, forgetting my manners.

"Yes, I indeed remember you! You're the beautiful red head who sat with her brother. The one I made a fool out of myself talking to."