Persian

Erik

I never did get to sleep. I just layed there in bed, staring into the darkness. Clementine would toss and turn every so often but I laid awake. It felt like hours were passing much slower than ever before. How did she expect me to sleep in the same bed as her? I could have slept easier while sitting at the Organ bench.

I feared too much that if I were to fall into a sleep, I might move around too much or roll over onto her. I wouldn't want to hurt her or cause her any discomfort.

Well, at least I could say that I tried. I stood up and quietly snuck out of the bedroom and into the main room. If I couldn't play my organ or do anything loud to wake her, then my safest bet would be to leave my lair for now. Perhaps go take a walk around.

I blew out the remaining candles before I stepped through one of my secret passageways. This one happened to be conveniently placed right next to the fireplace. There were a few places I could go, but I had one particular place in mind.

Daroga's apartment.

. . . . . . .

The street lights were dim and the streets themselves were dark and empty. Just as I liked it. I didn't have to dodge anyone's gaze or avoid stepping into the light this way. Dar- Nadir's apartment was not far off. It was only a few blocks down, near a chain of little shops and a wide open park.

As I knocked on his door I heard a loud thud before a disheveled Nadir answered the door in his night clothes. He looked me over before rolling his eyes and opening the door wider to let me in.

"You know I love your visits, Erik, but I would prefer them not to be in the middle of the night when I am already asleep."

"I needed to talk with you, Darog- Nadir."

"Well, sit down and think over what it is and if it's really such an emergency you had to wake me from my deep sleep. I'll put the kettle on." He walked into the kitchen as I took off my cloak, hanging it on the coat hanger.

"You just can't have a conversation without drinking tea, can you Nadir?" I took a look around as I usually did whenever I was in this apartment. It never changed much.

"With you, Erik, I always need something to calm me down when listening to your daftness and stupidity. It helps me not to lash out at you." I frowned and took a seat in the armchair.

"I'm not stupid, I'm very intelligent."

"And I'm the queen of England." I heard him laugh from the other room.

"You're an insolent old man, that's what you are, Nadir."

"I'm only 8 years older than you, Erik." Nadir walked into the room and set out two empty cups before taking a seat on the sofa and turned toward me. "I actually did have something to tell you Erik. Quite the coincidence. But you go first. Why are you here?"

"I kissed her." I blurted out, not able to hold it in much longer.

"Christine?" He said, astonished.

"No! The chorus girl I talked to you about. Clementine."

"Oh my... My little Erik is growing up." He wiped an invisible tear from his eye. "Your first kiss, I'm so proud of you."

"Nadir, this isn't a joke. I kissed her! On the lips."

"I figured. And?" What else was there I needed to mention for him to get the point?

"And what?"

"Did she kiss you back, you idiot." I thought back to it, remembering how her arms wrapped around my neck, gently pulling me further into the kiss. The feeling I felt right then, I wished for nothing more then to feeling it again.