CHAPTER 9

Hey folks ....
Nothing much just wanted to say Hi...

How are you all?
Hope you all like the book so far....

********

Elara entered her room. She felt so lonely . She climbed onto  her bed and opened the windows wide . She could see the window of  Kale's room through the branches of  their tree..

Their tree....it was there since their childhood. It was the only way that connected her to Kale's house when her parents grounded her.....which was almost everyday of her life... Sometimes no dinner or no lunch.... It was always Kale... He used to bring her cakes and brownies....

Yesterday, when Aunt Rosette hugged she felt some connection. When she hugged her mom today something was lost.

Though Elara was only eight years old ,she knew when something was wrong.
She laid down on her bed and was slowly drifting into a slumber.

  ******

"I guess you have something in your mind ,champ. Spit it out.. We'll help you." Will told Kale the moment the reached their door.

"Let's go in first." Kale knocked the door. Rosette opened the door with an anxious expression.

"How did it go.. did they say anything to her???" She asked .

"Nothing much...just no lunch and dinner for today." Will sighed

"How can they be so cruel. She's their daughter.. not a slave.... Who keeps their kids empty stomach for a day. I cannot even scold them properly..
Specially our Ella... She is such a good girl.  Her eyes , so innocent and pure.That lady is just evil." Rosette kept on blabbering.

"Can't agree more. It pains to see how  the girl still  loves her mother. If I didn't laugh at Tessa's expression ,I would have cried because of her love." Will sighed again.

"Papa, mamma, I have to tell you something." Kale said .

Will and Rosette leaned in to listen to what Kale has to say.

*******

They were all standing in Kale's room.

"Oh so this is your little secret huh.. " Will stated in awe.. " Brilliant... I can tell you that I will never be able to think of this if it was me.."

"Actually it was her. Long ago when she was really small. She told me that it was safe... This branch starts from her window and ends here..It just connects us.."

"Why didn't you tell us, love?" Rosette asked him

"Umm we ...I mean I.."  He stammered

"You can tell us the truth we can understand you." Will said with a knowing look on his face.

"Um we thought you'll never understand... specially her parents. It was our only way ...we thought you'll say it is dangerous and will cut it... So...""

"Say no more son. I get you. It is indeed dangerous to climb out through the window but I'll never stop you if it means that much to you. Do you have a problem Rose?" Will asked turning to Rosette.

" Oh never ....at least I can see her through here and send her some chocolate cakes that you don't like.. isn't it Kale." Rosette winked at Kale.

Kale smiled brightly.

"Well ,if I am not wrong he likes chocolate cakes very much." Will looked confused .

"It's a secret papa."  Kale chuckled.

"Ohhh okay..... so what are we planning to do??" Will asked him.

"As usual I'll go there. Give her something to eat and come back before anybody notices." Kale said puffing his chest out in pride.

"Hmm so it's a plan then" Will Chimed in..

Kale smiled at his father and patted him on his hand.
"Papa ,you sound like Ella now,....."

All three of them chuckled.

"I'll go get some of her favourite snacks.... You can take her some biscuits so  that she can stack it up and use when she wants." Rosette told them in a hurry and left to the kitchen.

***********

"Son, do take care . It is all slippery because of yesterday's rain . Be safe . Papa is here. If you need anything just call me okay." Will assured him.

"Okay papa... I'll go now." Kale did a thumps up .

In a few minutes he reached her room...her window was open and she was asleep.

"Baby Ella wake up... I got you some food and snacks" Kale woke her up .

"Keke,I knew you would come. " She woke up and hugged him..

"Don't cry... I'm here right.... But I am so sorry Ella...I couldn't keep the promise....I had to tell momma and Papa about the tree ...they were...you know... worried...." Kale said looking down.

"It is fine Keke....I know uncle Will and aunt Rosette.... they'll never cut it... they'll never cut our tree.." Elara assured him by tapping him on his shoulders.

They heard some footsteps outside the room .
"Kale quickly hide...." Elara panicked. 

"I'll go hide among the branches...ok don't worry... "

They hid the food and Kale jumped onto the branch. He then cover himself behind a bushy branch.

"What are you doing Elara," Tessa barged in.

"Nothing momma, just woke up from a sleep ." Ella replied.

"Oh what else can you do other than eating sleeping and reading comics.. ,Keep it up ... Just be this useless always." Tessa screamed at her. Behind her she could see her father who stared at the bare wall behind her avoiding eye contact.

Tessa glared at her for a few minutes and went out slamming the door behind her.

Kale came out from his cover... He didn't go in he waved at her and started climbing  back to his window. He glanced at Elara for one last time and saw her watching him.

The branches were slippery..Kale wobbled for a bit as he neared the window of his room when his arm slipped from the branch. He heard a gasp from behind, fear enveloped his mind.

***********

A cliffhanger....more like a treehanger now... Will my little Kale survive...

So that's all for todays update.... We'll meet sooon....

Bye....

Vote *comment*share

Thanks for reading  🙏