33. Bittersweet

"So even though I left you
I can't forget you
'Cause when I think about you
It's bittersweet, it's bittersweet
Yes I'll always love you
It's bittersweet, it's bittersweet
When we were together
You ain't treat me right
Damn, I really loved ya
I ain't gonna lie
'Cause when I think about you
It's bittersweet"

~Fantasia

Kennedy banks pov

"Unt Unt tell me why Durk talking bout we going dirt bike riding" india calls out to my mother and I  as we ride in the car waiting until Durk told us where to meet him

"Unt Unt tell me why Durk talking bout we going dirt bike riding" india calls out to my mother and I as we ride in the car waiting until Durk told us where to meet him .

"We just got our nails done why the hell would he pick that ?" My mother asks annoyed

"I don't even know but it's a no for me "india shakes her head .

Yep it's definitely a no for me to ! I swear my mental health has never been this clouded before this trip . I don't want to go out anywhere anymore , And just want to sit at home until Wednesday when we go back to Chicago . Plus I haven't even gotten any sleep .

Yesterday kept replaying over and over in my head and it was mix of Von and I in the bathroom and Von basically cutting things off with me in the restaurant .

He stormed out so angry and I still don't know where he is . It's honestly worrying the hell out of me . Then It's not like I can call him because he has me blocked . But Even if I wasn't I doubt he would answer .

I'm afraid that he meant the words he said yesterday and it wasn't just a reaction from him being upset at Noonie, or a mixture of me walking out on him in the bathroom and me trying to talk to him about it knowing that it's a fresh topic .

He has me completely stressed out so it's definitely safe to say I'm completely over LA!

"I say we just go back to the house" I suggest and they both turn towards me frowning.

"Kennedy what the hell are you talking about ?" My mom asks confused

"I just don't think we should hang out with Durk and his friends today , let's go find something else to do " I tell them and india smirks . Here she go !

"Oh please you just don't wanna see Von cause he threw a little tantrum yesterday outside of the restaurant " she laughs and my mother furrows her eyebrows

"Oh wow what have I been missing? " she questions and I shake my head

"Nothing " I say then eye india wanting her not to say anything about what's been going on . I know how extra my mom is and I already went through it the first time I definitely don't want to relive what happened yesterday.

" a whole lot ma "india starts . I sigh as she starts telling her everything she knew about this weekends events , which is mostly all of it , and I cringe to myself waiting for my mother's reaction .

"And so now I guess he mad at her cause she wanna walk out on him when they was finna get they freak on " india finishes and my mom starts to chuckle . I frown at india, then slowly turn towards my mother to get ready for her big speech I know she's about to give .

"Oh wow that sounds eventful " my mother says calmly with a smile on her face . I look at her confused then tilt my head .

"That's it ? " I question

"What you mean ?" She asks

"That's all you have to say ?" I asks

"Pretty much " she shrugs . I get taken back for a moment letting my confusion build up . I don't know who this women is but it's definitely not my mother .

"What's wrong with you ? " I ask her and she laughs

"Kennedy you're twenty years old" she starts "you can't keep getting guided through life it's time for you to let the hand go and crawl for a little while until you learn to walk again " she tells me .

"Damn that was deep " india mumbles .

"I've been crawling for a while mother " I defend myself and she shakes her head .

"Girl no you haven't " she starts "you depend on every one around you rather it's for advice or a place to stay "

"Excuse me ?" I question while india starts humming to herself still driving . I know she's trying to mind her buisness because this is about to get heated .

"It's the truth . First you wanna run to me when you and that Dayon boy broke up , now you pretending to like that Daniel boy for somewhere to stay and you just having sex with that bearded boy to fill a void . You need to grow up and start making decisions that you WANT to make and not decisions you feel like you HAVE to make . " she takes a moment before speaking again

"Just like yesterday , no I don't condone you having sex in a bathroom but you walked out on him because you felt like you HAD to , and you was being petty to him because you felt like you HAD to , but what did you want to do Kennedy ? " she asks and I don't answer letting all of her words sink in

"I'm waiting " she says and I shrug

"I don't know " I mumble

"You do know " she says "but it's not for me , india , Durk , or anybody else to bring it out of you , you have to bring it out yourself . And going to everybody and they momma trying to get advice all the time is not effective. You know what you want so go get it .... Respectfully " she finishes

"OKAYYY PERIODDDD ! " india yells out and we look at her "I'm sorry . not to be in y'all's buisness or anything but ma you was saying straight facts where did you learn to end on that word from ? " India asks her referring to when she said respectfully.

"Durk " she answers and I shake my head .

I reflect on the words she just told me and I realize that she's completely right .

I've always waiting for someone else's approval before I make my own decisions and that's what got me into the situation Im in now . I waited for my mother to kick me out before I got motivated to find my own space , I waited for Durk to give me approval to date Von , and I'm waiting for Asian to leave before I attempt to have a conversation with Von . But now I'm tired of waiting .

It's time for me to act on what I want and learn how to walk again !

Even if Von and I can't have a relationship I still want to talk to him and at least rekindle our friendship. It's obvious I won't be able to stop thinking about us and honestly I hope it's the same for him .

I love him so much and there's no denying that but in order for both of us to heal correctly so the next time we get together can last , I think we have to start slow .

maybe if we build that friendship we once had and I get him to unblock me , we can get the old us back . The us that fell in love with each other and didn't fight over petty things . I think we need a fresh start , a ... friendship

"I guess dirt bike riding sounds fun " I roll my eyes and india laughs loudly

"That's cute you thought you had a choice " she laughs

"Oh whatever "

"Yeah whatever and I'm so glad you in a better mood cause Von will definitely be there " she tells me

"I'm not surprised " I mumble

"But don't worry girl he totally hates you so he probably won't even mess with you " she tells me trying to sound reassuring

"Thanks " I say sarcastically.

That's just great ...