Ten

Nathan stepped over the threshold and halted

Nathan stepped over the threshold and halted.  Not paying attention, Jaxon almost toppled into the back of him. 

"Wow, heads up next time Nate."

"Sorry, I was just thinking if I should make a phone call first."  Nathan pondered on calling Dr De-Luca.  Rayne struggled with change, that much he understood. Perhaps it would be wise to seek his advice first. 

No.  Find her and see how the land lay.

It puzzled Jaxon.  Not sure of the logic behind Nate making a phone before checking up on Rayne.  Irritation, like pins pricked his thoughts.  "I'm sure your phone call can wait Nate.  See if Rayne's okay first." His tone clipped.

"What?" Nathan turned to face him.  "No, the phone call, it's about Rayne and her—" He stopped himself, unsure how much information to depart to his brother.  Although it surprised him, their mothers hadn't said more.  He truly seemed clueless.  "Make yourself at home. Kitchens' through there. This shouldn't take long."

Nathan headed to the first floor.  Diverting left towards their bedroom. The door was open, but she wasn't there and everything looked in order. "Rayne?"  Was that a sniffle he heard?  

The on-suite. 

Walking over to the door of their on-suite, he cursed when he noticed he hadn't removed his shoes.  Shit!  Kicking them off before softly knocking on the door.  "Rayne, sweetheart.  It's me, Nathan.  May I come in?"

Rayne caught the tap of the door.  Heart racing; a hard lump formed in her stomach.  He would take one look at her and know she was dirty.  A Whore.

He tapped again.  "Rayne, I'm aware my brother turning up unannounced has thrown your routine. But sweetheart, it's okay."

Her routine!  She had completely forgotten about her routine.  Distracted by what she had experienced downstairswhat she'd felt.

"Please let me in Rayne.  I just want to talk to you, hold you.  I can promise it will make you feel better. And if that doesn't work.  I can call Dr De-Luca; I'm sure he will help fix this."

He waited.

Rayne pushed herself up from the floor.  Time for honesty, it would be wrong to lie.  As her mother said.  She was dirty.  He needed to know how dirty she was.  How she would never be good enough for him.  She didn't deserve such a good man.  Slowly she turned the handle and opened the door. The lump in her stomach expanded.

"Sweetheart."  Nathan's heart melted at the sad look that sat upon her beautiful face.  Her eyes puffy from crying, face as grey as ash.  He observed her shuffle from foot to foot, one fist clenched tightly, the other hand rubbing her denim shorts relentlessly.  It drew his attention to the purply blue marks to the top of her thigh, wondering how she could have acquired such injuries. He would question as soon as he knew she was okay.