Twenty

Nathan sat with his second cup of coffee of the day; his eyes flicked to the empty doorway

Nathan sat with his second cup of coffee of the day; his eyes flicked to the empty doorway. Strumming his fingers against the table, it had been over half an hour since he'd stood outside the guestroom where he had clearly heard Rayne's cries of passion in the throes of her orgasm.

Although not jealous, the torrid feelings swarming his guts had been anything but pleasant. His hand had hovered over the door handle for close to a minute, wanting to join them, watch them.

Gritting his teeth, snatching his hand away, he had turned and forced his feet to move, understanding the importance of Rayne and Jaxon cementing a bond. One that was vital for this to work, still though it didn't make it any easier to listen too.

Inhaling a deep breath, he returned his attention to his emails on the screen in front of him. His ears pricked, shutting the lid of his laptop as his brother and Rayne came through the kitchen holding hands. The swell of excitement in his stomach removed all traces of concern and hunger he felt moments ago. Just that simple gesture spelled a different future for them all.

Rayne's eyes fell on Nathan's. Worry rolled around her tummy like a tumble dryer, unsure if he would remain true to his declaration that he wanted her to have a relationship with Jaxon, with them both.

Nathan swiftly pushed his chair back, stood and walked towards them, keeping his eyes on Rayne, who blushed under his gaze. "You look beautiful, sweetheart." He bent down and kissed her.

Relief fettered over her worries as the warmth of his lips left hers. How had she got so lucky to have not one but two men? She sighed happily. "Everyone ready for breakfast?"

~ ~

Following breakfast, they mutually agreed to go shopping. Jaxon was reluctant to return to the city for his clothes and he couldn't keep borrowing his brothers. They were slightly too small for starters, and although he liked joggers, he was a jeans and t-shirt guy at heart.

As they arrived at the mall, Rayne had hesitated when Nathan took one hand and Jaxon took the other. Her eyes glanced around to see if passers by had noticed or if their faces reflected signs of disgust.

Nathan as always was in tune with Rayne's thoughts. "What others choose to think of us is of no concern sweetheart," he spoke in a hushed encouraging tone, squeezing her hand.

It also compelled Jaxon to act, understanding Rayne's hesitant pause at his brothers reassurance. He neither cared nor worried about the opinion of strangers, but did care about his little one. "I'm okay if you just want to hold Nate's hand. I know this might be too much to handle all in one go." He could be patient.

Their differing approaches gave her pause to think, each held weight, and both thought streams were compelling. Normally she would step back to gain a greater perspective, to see with a wide-angled view, but she couldn't allow for that today. This required her to act on feelings alone, something that was unfamiliar to Rayne.