Eleven

Rayne counted the steps as she made her way downstairs

Rayne counted the steps as she made her way downstairs. Reaching the bottom, her toe touched the bottom step—four.  She took two steps back up and re-stepped the last two again.

Five... six.

Perfect! 

Passing the large circular mirror on the hall wall, she peeked at her appearance.  She wore a pale blue summer dress that stopped just above her knee with white pumps.  Her hair she had left down—as Nathan loved her curls loose, a little wild and free.

Twisting to look at the rear. Yes, this was an outfit to greet visitors.  She tried not to focus on her first interaction with Jaxon.  Perhaps it was because it had disturbed her routine?  That explanation seemed plausible.

Yes, that had to be the reasonwasn't it?

Laughter erupted from the direction of their kitchen.  Here goes

One...two...three...four...five...six.

Both men ceased laughing, turning her way as she entered the large open planned kitchen. 

"Sweetheart.  You look beautiful."  Nathan's chair scraped on the wooden floor, standing as he made his way towards her.

Breathing steadily, focusing her attention on Nathan, he placed his hands on her shoulders before running them smoothly down her bare arms to grasp her hands, squeezing them gently. 

He leaned in, stealing a chaste kiss before whispering so only she could hear.  "I keep having flashbacks to eating the best thing I've ever tasted, right here in this room."

She shivered, her stomach clenched, remembering too what had happened in the kitchen the night before.

Nathan pulled back, an amused look upon his face. "Okay?" To look at him, you wouldn't have thought he was thinking such thoughts.   He took a moment longer to look into her eyes to check for any signs of anxiety.  Rayne offered him her shy smile, but hesitancy remained.  He leaned his forehead against hers. "Remember what I said upstairs, Rayne.  No shame."

He kept hold of her left hand and led them to the table.  "Jax, this is Rayne. Or as I like to call her my little Rayne-drop."  He looked down smiling, holding her hand reassuringly. "Rayne, this is Jaxon.  My brother."

Jaxon raised his hand and signalled a wave.  If he thought she was beautiful earlier, stood before him now, hair loose and wild, eyes wide and bright, full pouty lips.  Her summery dress exposing every womanly curve that god had bestowed.   She practically took his breath away. "It's great to meet you, Rayne. And sorry about earlier.  I didn't mean to just drop by or get in your way, upset you. You have to forgive me, I can be a thoughtless asshole sometimes."

Rayne appreciated it would have appeared crazy, shaking his hand before turning tail, disappearing without explanation.  "No, I'm sorry Jaxon. It was terribly rude of me to run off like that. I had a moment and sometimes I find it a struggle meeting new people. But it is lovely to finally meet Nathan's brother. He's not told me much, so it will be nice to get to know you."