Twenty-Six

Rayne and Nathan returned to his apartment—one floor down from Jaxon's

Rayne and Nathan returned to his apartment—one floor down from Jaxon's. Nathan had messaged Jaxon who was on his way back to them.

"Sweetheart, do you want a drink or something to eat... or perhaps you want me to get Dr De-Luca on the phone? We can arrange an appointment for you?" Unsettling emotions churned his guts. His mind flashed to the knife on the floor.  What if he hadn't found her in time? He took a deep breath, recognising for the first time his efforts alone may not be enough to comfort and help her.

Rayne stood looking out onto the New York skyline, her arms wrapped around herself, rubbing them in a soothing way. "No, thank you, Nathan. I'm fine, honestly. You don't have to worry." She hated that her innate weakness had brought pain to the one person she would truly trust above all else.

Nathan's phone vibrated in his pocket as he reached in and retrieved it. It was Suzanne. Walking through to the kitchen, he accepted the call. "Suzanne."

"I'm really sorry, Nathan. I know you said not to bother you. —Oh, how is Rayne?"

"She's okay, thank you." He inhaled a relieved breath "You were saying?"

"Oh yes, sorry. I spoke with your father and I'm sorry to say he burst a blood vessel when I asked could he action the Jacob Rawlings meeting and I haven't been able to contact Rawlings to rearrange. I can only assume he will land here shortly for his intended meeting."

Nathan pinched the bridge of his nose. He would have little choice but to return to the office and facilitate the meeting. He also recalled he had promised Jacob they would dine out to discuss the future merger of their companies.  In hindsight, he should have spoken to his father himself to explain, but time had run away from him. "It's fine Suzanne, I will head back soon. If Jacob arrives before me, please keep him entertained."

"Consider him thoroughly amused." She chuckled. "And give my love to Rayne."

"I will and thank you, Suzanne."

"Nate!... Rayne?" Jaxon burst into the apartment, his heavy footsteps a clear sign of his panic.

Nathan walked from the kitchen to find Jaxon stood only a few steps behind Rayne. She hadn't turned to acknowledge him. The wall of frost thickened between them, as her small hands gripped her arms forcefully.

A lump formed in Jaxon's throat. "—Rayne." His voice low but weighty. Desperate was he to touch her, hold her.  But there she stood, seemingly unreachable, yet within touching distance.

His heart beat to a thunderous drum. "Rayne... please."  He understood she may not want him near her. She may not want him at all.

Rayne's spine stiffened, but the ache in his voice squeezed her heart. She wanted nothing more than to turn and let him wrap his muscular arms around her. "Do you have any love for her Jaxon?"

What?  "No, Rayne. All thoughts of Nicole disappeared the moment I met you." That was his truth. Something within had come to life the day his eyes had fallen upon Rayne Winters.